2018 gti se

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0412

Newbie question but on my 2018 gti se where is the oil refil or does it go in where dipstick is? And where is the oil filter thanks! I think I’m the second pic that’s the filter??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
I think see your oil filter on the second picture (it is inside the casing with the screws on the top but I have never opened it yet). As for the oil, I haven't done it also (I need to purchase the service manual) but I believe the oil goes out and in from the dip stick (you need a pump and a cylinder to pump the oil). I've seen that pump, my neighbor has one. It is hooked up to an air compressor to pump the oil out.

Since my ski is under warranty like yours (a 2018), I decided to let the dealer to the job this year (first oil change). Pretty expensive however...

I am planning to buy the pump cylinder next year and do it myself. If you need to winterize it, you also need a water pump and an adapter to connect to your ski and drain the water out of the muffler.

The dealer told me he was also fogging the engine but I wonder why you would have to do that on a 4-stroke.

Benji.

I think see your oil filter on the second picture (it is inside the casing with the screws on the top but I have never opened it yet). As for the oil, I haven't done it also (I need to purchase the service manual) but I believe the oil goes out and in from the dip stick (you need a pump and a cylinder to pump the oil). I've seen that pump, my neighbor has one. It is hooked up to an air compressor to pump the oil out.

Since my ski is under warranty like yours (a 2018), I decided to let the dealer to the job this year (first oil change). Pretty expensive however...

I am planning to buy the pump cylinder next year and do it myself. If you need to winterize it, you also need a water pump and an adapter to connect to your ski and drain the water out of the muffler.

The dealer told me he was also fogging the engine but I wonder why you would have to do that on a 4-stroke.

Benji.
Appreciate it thank you I brought them pump and also have the hose to compressor adapter was pretty cheap on amazon.

Yes, you change the oil through your dip stick. You can buy the tool just about anywhere, West Marine, heck, I think I've seen it at Walmart. But, if your inventive like me, you'll take a shop vac, get a piece of hard tubing so it doesn't collapse, then use your shop vac to remove the oil. You'll need to put water in the vac, and I probably shouldn't be telling you this, since oil can put off a vapor that can explode in the electrical part of your vac. I'd done it taking oil from my rotary chamber of my 787,

The oil filter, much easier to get too... I'll attach a pix, maybe you can spot it easier that way. And make sure, you use the proper oil. Using the wrong oil has caused me to rebuild engines that I wasn't happy about, after telling them not to use TCW-3. Not sure what your 4-TEC calls for, but make sure, you get the right stuff.

I'm attaching the pix now.. Good luck!Oil Filter.jpg

Yes, you change the oil through your dip stick. You can buy the tool just about anywhere, West Marine, heck, I think I've seen it at Walmart. But, if your inventive like me, you'll take a shop vac, get a piece of hard tubing so it doesn't collapse, then use your shop vac to remove the oil. You'll need to put water in the vac, and I probably shouldn't be telling you this, since oil can put off a vapor that can explode in the electrical part of your vac. I'd done it taking oil from my rotary chamber of my 787,

The oil filter, much easier to get too... I'll attach a pix, maybe you can spot it easier that way. And make sure, you use the proper oil. Using the wrong oil has caused me to rebuild engines that I wasn't happy about, after telling them not to use TCW-3. Not sure what your 4-TEC calls for, but make sure, you get the right stuff.

I'm attaching the pix now.. Good luck!View attachment 38315
Thank you much!

And once you have old oil mixed with water in the vac, how do you dispose of the oil???
I keep a couple 5 gallon buckets in my shop. When I do this, I empty that oil into the 5 gallon bucket. Once it's full, I take it down to Advanced Auto Parts, and they have a recycle tank in the back. I dump it in there, and keep my bucket. Though, I don't often work on the 4-TEC engines, I have changed oil a few times. I do have the pump, connects to my drill. I used a cordless, but they take forever, cause they don't have enough power, so now I use my 110 volt drill motor. It's faster.

The vac idea came from removing the 2-stroke oil from the rotary chamber. In these 2 strokes, the oil tank has two lines on the bottom, one goes to the oil injection pump, the other goes to the rotary chamber. It's a PITA to get to, if your needing to pull the motor, or (and in most cases), when I drain off a cup or two in the fall, to make sure no water has found it's way to the chamber. The rotary chamber is the lowest point of the oil system, and since water is heavier than oil, if you get any water in your oil system, that's where it will end up. It's a good idea to take a sample off it, every year or two, just to make sure, it's got only oil, no water!...

None of my recycling places will touch oil with even a trace of water as now for some stupid reason it’s “hazardous waste “ now.

I bought one of these years ago and find new uses all the time and wish I had done it sooner.
aa1c3d33ef2d49caf1359653b67b94a4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back