2017 GTI 90 Oil leak, Oil in bottom of hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSTMVT

Hi all, we just picked up 2 2017 GTI 90s. Got them practically given to us from my Mom. They bought them on impulse and hardly ever rode them, probably less than 100 hours on them. They've been sitting for a year.
Anyhow, I went to do a pre-ride check on them before heading out and saw oil pooled in the bottom of the hull.
Checked the dipstick and zero oil in the motor. Not good.

Come to find out they had to put in oil frequently and just thought nothing of it as they thought these motors used oil. They thought it was a 2-stroke, I'm guessing. Who knows.
Anyhow, i'm comfortable with motors, and mechanics in general (FAA A&P certified, and former Army rotary wing technician) so i'm fine with tackling the project. I thought id look through what others have encountered previously. Where would the guys and gals with experience with these motors start hunting down a leak like this? Oil filter housing grommet/o-ring/seal, will be my first spot.

Both skis have the same problem???

Yep, I thought it strange that both had the same problem as well. I almost wanted to believe that it was the result of possibly a messy oil refill. Both have oil in the bottom of the hull, and zero oil on the dipstick.

I'm going to do a full oil change and service myself and run them with the flush system and see if I get any new leaks.

I bet it’s just spilled oil, although a dry dipstick is not good. Maybe the same guy built both motors.

I bet it’s just spilled oil, although a dry dipstick is not good. Maybe the same guy built both motors.

Possible, if you mean as in built in the factory by the same tech. These motors haven't been built since bought new in early 2018.

I cleaned them up and found a bolt in the bottom of the hull that had backed out from the flange that surrounds the rear shaft output, appears to be a seal housing?. It was around the 7'oclock position.
The other ski had no visible leak spot.

I cleaned up the oil, Id say overall about a 1/4 of a quart in the bottom, maybe. I'm going to put Rotella T6 in tonight and run them for about 5 mins each and recheck for more leaks.

What else I noticed was that there isn't any other signs of oil leaks. No spray pattern, residue, etc.

Last note - I saw that there is oil residue around the intake grate on the bottom. Appears that its been seeping through. The only way it looks as though there could be oil at the intake grate is if it would travel through the hull where the shaft goes through to the impeller. Any thoughts?

The driveshaft splines on the PTO side are oil lubricated with seals. Possibly mom ran the skis too long on a hose and got the carbon seal area too hot and messed up the oil seals.

The driveshaft splines on the PTO side are oil lubricated with seals. Possibly mom ran the skis too long on a hose and got the carbon seal area too hot and messed up the oil seals.

Pretty sure the GTI 90 has the spark engine/driveline, which has no carbon seal.

Your right it has no carbon seal, although if it does have the spark engine/driveline there are plenty of issues with the PTO cover oil seals leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back