2015 Spark won’t move

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

cbrown06

New to me 2015 spark. First time putting it in water and dash reads maintenance required and high exhaust temp ....machine would rev but not move. IBR seemed to work, up and down.....but unit would not move. Fast forward three days.....ordered new wear ring and impeller combo...and exhaust temp sensor....installed all three.....all looked good. Ran on hose for a minute...still maintenance required on dash but at 97 hours I assumed it’s for oil change requirement and needs to be reset. Decided to head back up to lake and try again. Back in to water it goes. Fires right up.....NO high exhaust temp warning on dash this time..... still maintenance required though. Put in reverse and won’t move revving to 5100+ rpms....... what else should I be looking at? Replaced 3 key parts and no difference. I have been under the machine on a dolly when running on hose and impeller IS spinning.....HELP!!!!

The key question is...are you moving water when sitting in the water? The iBR could be stuck in NUETRAL so you won't go anywhere.
The "Maintenance Required" could be the iBR....is the iBR flashing on the info center?

I have a 2017 Spark2UP with the "MR" message and the iBR flashing....BUT I can move forward....NO Neutral or Reverse though....so I gotta take it apart and see what's what.

Thanks for getting back to me. I dropped it off at my dealer yesterday for them to diagnose. If estimate is insane I will tackle myself.

Update: ordered a brand new 2020 Rotax 900 long block from Sweden through EBay for $3250 to my door and dealer is swapping next week. Will end up being less than having the crankshaft replaced..... and I will have an engine with zero hours vs 97hours....

Update: ordered a brand new 2020 Rotax 900 long block from Sweden through EBay for $3250 to my door and dealer is swapping next week. Will end up being less than having the crankshaft replaced..... and I will have an engine with zero hours vs 97hours....
I don't get it....you said you could see the impeller spinning, while under the machine.....HOW did that translate into a stripped crankshaft? If the crankshaft isn't transmitting its spinning force to the driveshaft....then what is driving the driveshaft to spin the impeller? Something is not right here?????

Are you absolutely certain it wasn't the driveshaft that was stripped or the splines just worn down?

97 hours is NOT a lot of hours on a machine to strip out a crankshaft or a driveshaft...but I suppose it could happen.

At idle there as enough force to spin the impeller......but not under REV..... The drive shaft and crankshaft were fried.....CONFIRMED

BTW.....this is a KNOWN issue with 2014-2015 Sparks......some had this happen with as little as a few hours. Under warranty and you are protected......out of warranty and the cost is on you.

At idle there as enough force to spin the impeller......but not under REV..... The drive shaft and crankshaft were fried.....CONFIRMED
Jesaloo....97 hours only and that kind of damage.......did something get stuck in the impeller?

Previous owner. I purchased it in December 2019. It never worked from the first time I put it in the water in June 2020. When I tore down for the first time there was yellow nylon rope around the impeller shaft. That could’ve been the culprit.. however, as I mentioned, this is a known defect with 2014 and 2015 crankshaft design. They no longer manufacture crankshaft like that. Later model sparks would be a simple inexpensive fix and would not require the engine to be torn down and the crankshaft replaced. Newer model sparks have a coupler that can be replaced.

BTW.....this is a KNOWN issue with 2014-2015 Sparks......some had this happen with as little as a few hours. Under warranty and you are protected......out of warranty and the cost is on you.
That doesn't seem right or fair....if it's a KNOWN issue, DOES BRP acknowledge it? Why not a RECALL then? Yeah, of course they wouldn't want to have to eat those costs BUT ----- an extended warranty period then should be offered IMHO......makes you wonder.....

Previous owner. I purchased it in December 2019. It never worked from the first time I put it in the water in June 2020. When I tore down for the first time there was yellow nylon rope around the impeller shaft. That could’ve been the culprit.. however, as I mentioned, this is a known defect with 2014 and 2015 crankshaft design. They no longer manufacture crankshaft like that. Later model sparks would be a simple inexpensive fix and would not require the engine to be torn down and the crankshaft replaced. Newer model sparks have a coupler that can be replaced.
AHHH....rope around the driveshaft could easily cause that kind of damage....yikes.....

Back