2012 RXT X Not Running (5 Hours on it)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kriscaskey

I purchased this ski in 2013 brand new from a dealership in FL. Not long after purchasing I was transferred out of the country for my job for a couple of years without ever putting the ski in the water. Fast forward to summer of 2016 I FINALLY went to take the ski out for the first time and within 15 minutes had an engine overheat warning on it. I idled back to the dock and pulled her out of the water. Took her in to one dealership and they said I needed a new intercooler (approx. $2K).. This did not seem logical with only 15 minutes on it so it took it for a second opinion and low and behold it was a sensor which was replaced for like $200. and I was off again.. I put it back in the water to use for my girlfriends birthday party - about 4 hours total had been used on it and it went dead and had to be pulled back to dock. Brought it into dealer they said the ECM needed to be replaced of which I did. Picked it back up and when I dropped it into the water to run the ski sounded like it was going to die as it ran idle or I gave it gas. I finally got around to having it towed and brought it back to dealer again - this time they said I needed a new intercooler and it had low compression - no specifics on what was causing it and they said they would not know until the pulled out the engine and did a full inspection.. Ultimately said it would probably run about $4K or so for repairs.. Now, I purchased this ski and never one time had it out without a mechanical issue. Unfortunately, I did not run it until after the original warranty expired so everything I have had to have done has been out of pocket. With only 5 hours into it I probably already have $2k in repairs and now a potential $4K Repiar based on what the dealership told me. With this few of hours on it and the fact I have not been able to take it out one time without an issue I think it is a dud from the start. I put it up for sale and was offered $3,500 after the dealership said they have someone who would buy it for $1,500 which is why I already feel the dealerships are shady. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Most probably from sitting your internal engine rusted and/ or connectors dried out, I see lots of Seadoos coming in which were parked and started up after the winter. The guys or girls who fog the jetski I get them for maintenance parts, the other rest I get for engine rebuilds.
Not sure if you have time and patience for it but alternative is getting a workshop manual, strip engine and see what is broken and get it fixed yourself. No rocket science involved, only basic tools and a crankshaft/ camshaft locking tool needed as special tools and a buddy who has the alignment tools once the engine goes back in. For sure you has a friend with a cherry picker to get engine in and out.
I have the same ski. Here in South Korea a ski with broken engine and good hull goes for 3 - 3500 USD. 1500 USD as offered by the dealer is a good deal for them :) I would tell them to f**ck off!

Thanks! Yes, when they said they would have to take it apart and would be best to sell - offering me 1,500 I knew something was not adding up. I think I will look towards getting it fixed. Thanks for your honest reply..

With that few hours I wouldn’t believe a thing they say.

Fresh fuel, a new battery and new plugs it should typically be good to go.

I would check the basics first.
1. Does it have oil.
2. Good strong battery.
3. Check compression with a good tester.

Go from there. Even with s bad engine if it looks new it’s worth way more than $1500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back