2012 Challenger 180 SE Super Charger question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering purchasing this boat. It has 38 hours on it but the factory supercharger has not been rebuilt in 8 years. Is this a concern?

I'm considering purchasing this boat. It has 38 hours on it but the factory supercharger has not been rebuilt in 8 years. Is this a concern?
To me, no, but I’m new to this game. I would think with such low hours, it would be fine (factory recommends inspection/rebuild at 200 hrs; this forum and others recommend rebuild at 100hrs and replacing ceramic washers with metal).

I would be more concerned about how it’s been stored/winterized. Was it used every year? Did it sit for long periods (years)?

If it's a 2012 I don't think there is any chance it would have ceramic washers, my understanding is 2009 boats and onward all had steel washers. My own 2009 in fact did have steel washers, which was proven when it was rebuilt last year at about 150 hours (not due to a problem, just as very conservative maintenance).

Congratulations and enjoy! I made the same move as you last year, from a Speedster 150 to Challenger 180. It's great to have the extra room.

To add to this... I bought a 2011 Speedster 150 255 with 55 hours on it this year. I pulled the SC to inspect it and it was 9 years old and looked like a SC would with 55 hours, which was basically perfect. Tested the clutch, 11 NM right in spec. It spun freely and had zero play.

The previous generation of SC's with ceramic washers has everyone hyper sensitive and IMHO crazy about the actual serviceable Lifecyle of these SC's. I will inspect mine again at 120ish hours and make a decision there.

Hope you are enjoying your ride...

To add to this... I bought a 2011 Speedster 150 255 with 55 hours on it this year. I pulled the SC to inspect it and it was 9 years old and looked like a SC would with 55 hours, which was basically perfect. Tested the clutch, 11 NM right in spec. It spun freely and had zero play.

The previous generation of SC's with ceramic washers has everyone hyper sensitive and IMHO crazy about the actual serviceable Lifecyle of these SC's. I will inspect mine again at 120ish hours and make a decision there.

Hope you are enjoying your ride...
How are you inspecting? I would like to check mine.

I remove it from the engine. Pull the exhaust off at the standpipe clamp and undo the connection to the waterbox. Slide it back in the hull, then undo 3 bolts (1 needs an E10 Box wrench) and pull it out.

Inspect the condition of it. Spin it to see if there is any bearing play or roughness/resistance. Check the slip on the clutch with a torque wrench. (Mine was 11 NM, Spec 8-12NM) Unit looked basically new. Reverse the procedure and back in business. I bet I could do the whole thing now in under an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back