2012 Challenger 180 - Check Engine Light

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeme

I have a 2012 Sea Doo Challenger 180 and the check engine light randomly comes on - however there is no limp mode or any alteration to how the boat performs when the light is on. Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Can you scan through your digital dash with the menu button and get the code if there is one?

Well for my boat you press the menu button and after ski mode, eco mode and so on... the word code pops up and then screen will scroll across to the actual code.

Can you identify if it happens in large chop or if you jump a wake with the boat? Mine did that @ one point but it seemed to correlate with the above mentioned activity as if the pump came out of the water for a second. I haven’t noticed it consistently.

@ Jeme, if you haven't figure out how to see any error codes on your dash. Im sure it is similar to my 2012 challenger 210, but the engine has to be off in order for the "Fault Codes" option to be displayed when pressing the mode button. For me at least, it will display some codes and sometimes several that you can flip through.

Regarding your statement that you can a warning, but dont go into limp mode or any alterations to performance, I didn't get limp mode or any alterations to performance to mine when I got a check engine light. Hopefully mine is a rare instance, but nothing was really mechanically major or serious, but was all electrical. I have a twin engine setup, but one of my engines wouldn't power down when I turned the engines off and took the keys out. Didn't really notice the issue. But when I turned the engines on, they would fine and it would briefly display a check engine light. The odd thing was, I got a check engine light for the starboard engine, even though the port engine was the one not shutting down. After looking closer, noticed the hours for the port engine wasn't matching the starboard and when I manually turned the power off from the batteries, the port hours it just accumulated would be erased.

The boat still runs perfectly fine, but besides the hour issue and the engine now powering down and needed to be constantly connected to a battery tender when in storage, wasn't bad. Or at least what I thought. So far, its been at the dealership for over 3.5 months. They've replaced ECMs multiple times, gauge cluster, relays, fuses, and what not. Order a new wiring harness and hoping that does something good (they gave up and started throwing parts and replaced the ECM on the good engine, now causing both engines to not power down). I'm not trying to scare you. What I have seems to be very rare. Dealer has never seen this before. They contacted Seadoo for technical support and they've never seen any issue like this before, and my boat was covered under warranty when I brought it in.

When I looked up my error codes, which told me ECM issues, I looked at a list of error codes and what they meant. There are a lot of error codes and some range from minor issues to other issues. I wouldn't be worries. Id say its good that your boat didnt go into limp mode or suffer performance issues. Personally, Mechanical issues are way worse than electrical. Electrical stuff can be fixed, if done be someone competent, but once its fixed, thats really it. Mechanical stuff, if a part fails, it can cause other parts to fail that aren't easily noticed and lead to more complications down the road.

If you can find what your error codes are, I and im sure others, will be glad to assist you as best we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back