2011 RXT-X Speed Error Causing Limiter To Kick In At WOT And Top Speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RadVad

Hi guys, so its my first post and unfortunately its due to a problem I have with a bone stock 2011 RXT-X aS 260 with about 35 hours on it. Its been running like a champ aside from this one issue.

I have a very rare, or so it seems, issue with the SeaDoo at full speed and WOT. When I am doing about 65+ MPH at WOT, the SeaDoo will suddenly show a random speed reading on the speedometer of 80 - 100 MPH, etc.. This instantly causes the limiter to kick in, cuts throttle, and almost throws me off, as its very sudden and unexpected. Over the last couple of years and about 20 hours on the water, this issue has occurred about 10 times. The doo does not throw any codes, and the GPS symbol is solid green, from what I recall. The entire duration of this lasts about 1 - 2 seconds and then everything goes back to normal. By the way, I have never had this happen at lower speed, only near the limiter range and at WOT. Its almost like I am going too fast for it to get an accurate speed reading.

I went ahead and called 3 different SeaDoo dealer in my area. No one has ever heard of this issue. I have B.E.S.T. extended warranty, but all state that they need to reproduce the issue to have it covered under warranty. I think the chances of them being able to reproduce it are close to 0%. I don't want to waste my money and time, so I wanted to pick your brains and see if someone has had a similar issue or may know more details about this problem. The more ammo I got to work with, the easier it will be to have this repaired, or so I hope. By the way, do you guys know if BEST covers the GPS/speedo or am I going to get some run around regarding that? Do they cover both labour and parts, or is it parts only and I have to pay for labour?

Thanks for any help!

RadVad

Hi, I had same problem on my 2009 RXT iS like you with no error code.
After opening Air Intake and manifold system, i found the problem and easily repair it. There is an "Air Intake Silencer Baffle" in the "Emission Component Air Intake Silences" that not fitted correctly and removed from normal place when i jumping on sea waves. When i am doing on full speed and full power of engine, this pipe block the engine air pressure and engine goes to cut-off state. and when engine goes back to idle mode, everything is ok until full power speed!.

I fix it on the right place and it never been occurred.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I don't really want to bypass the speed restriction, as I want to leave it 100% stock. Mahdian, I do not think we have the same issue. My problem is due to the speed limiter, and I am certain of this. The speed on the speedometer jumps to 80+ MPH and this is what is causing the power to be cut. This is an electrical problem with the speed control. From what I understand, this entire assembly is in the gauge cluster and I might need to replace the entire cluster to remedy the problem.

Please let me know if you guys any additional details on what is actually broken that is causing these speed spikes.

Thanks!

RadVad

Definitely the first time I have heard oh this. Being an intermittent problem, it will be very hard to diagnose by anyone. Your best bet is the override module that will eliminate the limiter and your issue. That would be the route I'd take if I was you. Otherwise you'll be chasing this problem for longer than you want.

Had one just like that, replaced entire LCD which has the GPS in it and it fixed it. You can try a software update first but I'm guessing bad GPS.

It will all be covered, parts and labor under BEST.

Ski-d00, thanks for post. That makes me feel better knowing that it should all be covered. Is there anything specific you had to do with the dealer or they just offered to replace the gauge right off the bat? I called a few dealers already and they were all telling me that they have to reproduce the issue first to submit it as a warranty claim.

Get the problem documented while you are under warranty. Write legal letters to Sea Doo and the dealers and make copies. Phone calls are worthless in warranty claim.
Please use the search in this forum. I have read about something like this happing here in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back