2011 gti 155 limited. Sputtering loss of power!FIXED!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hndyman55

Hi there first time poster. I just bought a 2011 GTI 155 limited with 72 hours. I didn’t do a water test but the seller started it up and let it run for a few minutes while on the water hose. It sounded great! Smooth idle…reved good. Seemed good! It was stored under a shed. He said he hadn’t ridden it in 6 years but started it up about 3 years ago. He installed a new Die Hard battery with 260 cold cranking amps. Although it doesn’t fit In the tray very well. So fast foreword a month and I’m finally able to take it out for a test ride. Started right up. Backed off the trailer. Putted around for a sec to let it warm up a little. Hit the throttle and it took off good and hard. Set me back in the seat real good! About 20 seconds into it full throttle and it started sputtering! Sudden loss of power and would only get to 35mph. I could tell it was missing somehow. It almost felt like a dirty fuel filter or injector or something like that. It would actually kick back in and rev out like it should for a very quick second. Kind of reminded me of a two stroke going in and out of the power band. Then back to sputtering and no power. I took it back to the ramp and put it back on the trailer. Couldn’t figure out what the problem is. Nothing in the intake grate. Took it home and put new plugs in it. When I fired it up it started reving really high. Like 3500 rpms and wouldnt drop. Tried unhooking the battery to possibly reset the computer but that didn’t fix it. Did the same thing revving really high! I tried blipping the throttle to get it to come down but that didn’t work either. I eventually got the code for high exhaust temp so I quit trying after that. Can anyone help me figure this out? I put the battery on charge tonight to see if maybe it was undercharged causing weird issues.

I would say being stored that long with infrequent use your plugs, gas, oil, and battery are all bad. Get rid of the old gas, change the plugs (done) , new oil, and a new battery that fits properly. The iTC is all electrical and needs a good battery to work properly. You might have jammed the throttle plate with the old gas sediment so it will not return to idle. That’s just a guess. Get the above work done and report back.

Do I need to get the XPS oil for an oil change or can I substitute with something easier to get? If not where should I get it from? Dealer is 2 hours away. If I can substitute with something different which oil is recommended? Does the water hose need to be hooked up to the flush port while running? I thought I saw where I didn’t need to…just make sure it’s less than two minutes. However in the manual I believe it says the water must be running while the ski is running.

Last edited:
1- water hose off
2-Connect water hose to jet ski
3-Jet ski engine start ( Running)
4-water Hose on water flowing
5- I will never run jet ski on hose for more than 2 minutes
make sure to turn water off first than Jet ski when done flushing
6- If used in salt water spray lube engine
take care of your machine save yourself lots of headaches

Just wanted to update. It’s running great now! After changing out the bad gas with new and adding some sea foam to the new gas just for extra measure. Starts up great. Idles perfect at 1800 in the water. Sport mode brings the bow out of the water. And tops out at 59mph! I’ve got a DEKA battery on order and an oil filter and oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back