2009 sea doo challenger washers safe????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

zig1212

Just curious if the 2009 challenger superchargers are safe with the oem washers, or do they need to have the rivas. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I have read quite a bit on this issue and as best I can determine, they began using the steel washers sometime during the 2008 model year, so some 2008's have them and some have the old ceramic, but everything made after 2008 should have the new ones.

However, and this sounds weird to me, I have also read that they only went to the new washers on the supercharged engines in the jet skis and they are still using the ceramic washers in the boat engines to this day. I don't know if that's accurate or not, but they're all the same engines and clearly they know they have a problem with the ceramic washers, so why on earth would they only change them on the jet ski engines and not on the boat engines? It doesn't make any sense, but that doesn't mean they're not doing it. I would call BRP directly, ask for someone in engineering and get clarification on this. That way you will know for sure whether the boats were included in the switch or whether they are in fact only addressing the issue on the jet skis. If they say they are also using the new washers on the boats, get it in writing -- ask them to send you an email confirming it so you have some documentation. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input. Does anyone have an email to contact brp directly?

It won't help.

If I was in your position... I would pull the supercharger, and just look. The OEM steel washers have a gold color to them, and the ceramic washers are a gray/pale green color.

He is right, BRP are total and complete asses, will not help you at all. But all their contact info is in the back of your manual. But it won't help.

I called Sea Doo using the "contact us" (715) 848-4957 number on their website some time ago. I wanted to know about the discrepency in the 2-star, 3-star emissions, specs vs. the sticker they put on the boat.

In Sea Doo's defense, I must say they were very helpful. Told me they needed to research that and would get back to me with an answer. They did.

Sea Doo switched over to steel SC washers in 2008 for PWC's. For boats they did not make the switch until mid-late 2008 onward. PWC's received the steel washers earlier because they had a much higher incidence of failures. The ceramic washers fail when the engine over revs when the jet drive comes out of the water and the operator does not throttle down. This happens a lot more with PWC's than it does with boats.

For 2008 boats you need to pull the SC to see what washers you have. Also be aware that if you order replacement Riva steel washers you need to know what kit to buy. If the internal diameter of the two ceramic washers is exactly the same then order the 2008+ Riva kit. If the internal diameter of the ceramic washers is different then order the 2006-2007 Riva kit. This is not widely known so be very careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back