2009 Challenger 180 Cavitation

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help !! 18hrs. on the boat 215hp rotax 2009 Challenger180. If I roll the throttle on slowly there are no issues I get up to plane and top out at about 32mph. If I punch the thing a bit to pull up a wake boarder it cavitates like crazy end then gets going. Once its going were good.
I got under and look in the grate and everything looks good but one thing. There is a blavk seal that is sitting between two pieces just ahead of the impeller. it looks to be squeezing out a bit and a little worn in spots.
Should this seal be flush and tight all the way around ???
Are there any other things I can look for or ask for at the shop when it goes in cause this must be warrenty 18hrs. right ????
It was in last week and they said the wear ring was good but this weekend it got worse.
How about a stainless impeller any suggestions ????

Thank you,:confused:

Cavitation problem fixed :willy_nilly::willy_nilly: The black rubber gastket between the drive unit and the hull was faulty from new. The dealer replaced it and sealed everthing up good so it does not suck air and water anymore. The thing runs better now than it did when I first bought it. To bad the first 20hrs on the boat were not as good as now.

Happy guy now

After your problem was fixed, can you apply full throttle from idle whitout any cavitation? What is your max RPM? I have the same problem as you had and have replaced everything I can think of with only minor improvements so far.

Regards
Erik

You answered your own question/problem before anyone could respond, but for the sake of anyone else who may come along and read this, there is always a problem if your 180 Challenger can't get up to at least mid 40's. Even at altitude, I can hit that with several adults on board and a full tank.

The most common cause is a blown/worn wear ring, though in your case it was a different part. Most often, boaters damage the wear ring by sucking in a rope, reeds or other similar items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back