2008 vs 09 vs 10 vs 11 vs 12 Seadoo challenger!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to sell my 06 Sportster and move up to a Challenger 180

I figured the outer dimensions are very similar, and it will still fit (tightly) in my garage. However, the extra space and height would help dealing with the waves on Lake Ontario.

I found an 08 with 300 hrs for around 16K, and i'm finding 2012s for around 20-22 K. Ideally, I would like spend a max of 15 k (I figured I can sell mine for 9k or so, add an extra 6 and upgrade)... however what do you think of the year (asides than the upgraded titanium coated supercharger washer)

- Is a 2012 much better in terms of features than a 2008? I noticed '12 has cruise control, eco mode etc ...are these worth or just gimmicks?

- Does the body shape and handling change at all?

Thanks everyone!

I happen to like the electronic options of the 2012. I find them very useful at times. As for the hull design, I've always noticed the 180s have a low draft at the point of the bow when not on plane. Depending on the chop, she still may take water over the bow at times, but in comparison to your sportster, it'll keep you drier.

I happen to like the electronic options of the 2012. I find them very useful at times. As for the hull design, I've always noticed the 180s have a low draft at the point of the bow when not on plane. Depending on the chop, she still may take water over the bow at times, but in comparison to your sportster, it'll keep you drier.
The low bow draft is what had always worried me about my boat - when you are going you are fine, but if the engine was to die for whatever reason on a choppy day, you can take on a lot of water. Good to know that the challenger has that issue as well.

Re the electronics - what do you find most useful for you? Thanks!

I have a 2012 215hp that I got with 52hrs on it for 18.5k down in Texas last year. The docking mode is pretty awesome electronics wise. I also like to throw on the cruise control when people who maybe aren't as experienced are driving in big open spaces. Keeps them from gunning it and throwing people around.

Re the electronics - what do you find most useful for you? Thanks!

I agree with what patrickgrizz said. Docking and cruise control work really well. Our 210 also has ski mode which is pretty awesome for wakeboarding and skiing. I'm not sure the 180's have that feature.

Our electronics offer tons of options (fuel, compass, max/ave RPMS, DTE, etc, etc.). I mainly use the depth gauge and engine temp features on our boat every time we go out. Very helpful info.

We us Ski Mode a lot. Everyone has a favorite setting and they all get the same pull no matter who is driving. We use Eco Mode when just cruising along. Might as well save some gas. I can see why some like Docking Mode, but I never seem to use it.

Docking mode isn't a must, but it just makes it idiot-proof around the docks and gives more confidence. I also like to use it cruising the canals, as I can just throw the throttle forward and be going at the right speed.

The newer 180s also just seem to have better fit and finish, like fully upholstered captains chairs as opposed to the older ones with plastic backs, and the brushed metal gauge cluster. You also have 0 worries that it has the old style washers in the supercharger.

We're in 2018 now, the newest you can find them is 6 years old, so the biggest hit on depreciation has already happened. I'd go for the newest, lowest hour, most well maintained boat you can get, the difference in price is probably worth it.

Thank you everyone - this has been very helpful.

One question I still can't figure out: Is the 2011 model the same as the 2012?
I couldn't find a pdf overview via seadoo for the 2011 model, however, the dash looks very similar rot the 2012 model.

At the same time, in the product pdf for the 2012 model, it states text in red = new features over previous years, of which it has eco mode etc.

Thanks!

Don't take my word for it, but I'm not sure if they were throttle-by-wire in 2011. So, all the electronic throttle controls like cruise/docking/ECO weren't in place.

The 2011 has the normal plastic throttle and gate levers, which is what I had on my 2011 150 Speedster. It was a simple linkage to the gate and cable on the throttle.

My 2012 180 Challenger throttles and gate controls are billet aluminum. While the gate still feels like it's just a direct linkage, the throttle cable just goes to a little pin underneath the dash. The actual amount of throttle given to the motor is controlled by the computer, so it's not a direct link from the handle to the throttle body on the motor.

I've driven with and without the iTC (cruise/docking/eco). Did I do fine in my 2011 speedster? Yes, I didn't really think it needed anything else. Would I go to something without similar features if I ever do move away from my 2012 Challenger? Nope.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone,

I found a 2011 challenger 180 SE with 90 hrs on it. With taxes and all around 20.5K. I hope it is the right decision vs. 2006 Sportster.
I keep on thinking both are capable of the same function, is it really worth it to spend an extra 12K for a windshield and an extra 2 feet. I hope this is the right decision!

Ultimately I'm hoping I can have more days out on the water as the Sportster would often take water on (front) with the smallest chop. Then again I was just reading another thread by someone stating he tried the 180 and wants a 230 because the 180 can't handle small chops

Both do not perform the same function at all. The Challenger is a proper runabout boat. Can pack a few friends and kids on with cargo etc. The Speedster was a really fun little boat, but felt more like a 4 passenger jet ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back