2008 Seadoo wake 215 supporting ring rusted and I can’t free up from shaft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Malforces

Hi guys,
I’m having a very hard time removing a rusted out supporting ring from the jetski.
I purchased it as a non running jetski and I got it up and running but is taking water due to a carbon seal that needs to be replaced.
I have all the parts but I can’t remove the supporting ring that makes contact with the carbon seal.
I tried PB blaster, I can access the ring with a pipe wrench (I stuffed a cylinder with synthetic rope) so the shaft does not move but I can’t free up the ring.
I used leverage to try to slide the ring towards the carbon seal but no luck.
I cut the rubber boot that holds the carbon seal to get better access to it.
Wondering if any of you encountered this issue before and how were you able to free it up.
I’m almost to the point of cutting off the shaft.
Any help will be highly appreciated

Last edited:
Pictures of the rusted supporting ring. I think that is the name of it if I recall correctly

Attachments

• E147D6FB-B50D-4625-93AF-E828D86BC296.jpeg
    E147D6FB-B50D-4625-93AF-E828D86BC296.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Don't cut the shaft. Cut the collar(supporting ring) on two sides opposite each other trying not to go through to the driveshaft and you might be able to clean up the shaft and reuse it. This is common in saltwater. Only takes about 10 minutes with a good 4" grinding tool.

Don't cut the shaft. Cut the collar(supporting ring) on two sides opposite each other trying not to go through to the driveshaft and you might be able to clean up the shaft and reuse it. This is common in saltwater. Only takes about 10 minutes with a good 4" grinding tool.
Ski-d00 Thank you so much for the reply.
I was able to remove the collar after some work, I stuffed some synthetic rope into one of the cylinders and try freeing it up with a pneumatic chisel combined with some heat and PB Blaster.
It took a while and I almost gave up but eventually did start to free up.
Once again thanks for the reply ....and now I know I can use a pneumatic chisel combined with some heat and PB Blaster to remove rusted collars lol

The problem with heat is that there are 2 o-rings, a rubber seal, and a plastic part on the engine side that can easily get ruined if you aren't careful as they can't take much heat at all.

The problem with heat is that there are 2 o-rings, a rubber seal, and a plastic part on the engine side that can easily get ruined if you aren't careful as they can't take much heat at all.
I used a heat gun in low for very short periods; just enough to get the PB blast to flow into the rust as I was worried about all the seals and rubber components.
I think I might be OK but I'll check.
Thanks for the advice

You'll be fine with a heat gun but probably not that effective. I thought you may have hit it with mapp gas which actually works very well but I only do this after I pull the motor and take the drive shaft out from the inside.

I made a special tool to get them collets off out of some old metal that was laying around in my workshop to get it off. You will probably need to sand down the shaft where the collar came off. The shaft mite be pitted a little with rust holes so use water proof grease when you put the new one back in ok. If you get stuck give me a shout. 😄. Mind you will need to shout loud as am across the pond and mite not hear you???.😆👍.pug pug.

I made a special tool to get them collets off out of some old metal that was laying around in my workshop to get it off. You will probably need to sand down the shaft where the collar came off. The shaft mite be pitted a little with rust holes so use water proof grease when you put the new one back in ok. If you get stuck give me a shout. 😄. Mind you will need to shout loud as am across the pond and mite not hear you???.😆👍.pug pug.

Pug pug,
Thanks for the information I’ll make sure to do that after I get a new pump for it. I got the jet ski at a low price knowing that it did have issues.
Taking the pump out was a real nightmare as it was glued with oxidation to the bolts.
The pump housing is ruined so I’ll need to purchase one.
Wondering which one is better WSM or SBT.
Let me know if you have any opinion on the above.
I guess they might be almost the same and perhaps the differentiation might be customer service.

It don’t really matter they both will be good. Remember a little grease here and there when you put it all back won’t hurt anything and a lot easier when you come to take things back out👍.

Does this driveshaft wear look "okay" to just install a new Carbon Ring "Kit" ?

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 7
That area doesn't matter. What matters is to the left of that just behind the groove for the c-clip where the o-rings seal which looks pretty good. I'd give it a quick clean up and polish and use it.

Back