2008 Seadoo Challenger 180 SE Radio problems..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. I have the Jensen MSR3007 radio with the Jensen MWR75 wired remote on the driver side dash. Two years ago my radio channels all started coming in with static, Would go from normal volume to really low and most of the time makes a humming sound. Sometimes it will come in fine but that is rare and if so its just for a quick second or two... The signal strength on my radio shows very good to excellent reception also. I'm confused at what could be wrong? I was going to pull it out and make sure everything was fine on the back and plugged in good but I do not have the keys needed to do that. Is there another way to get it out? Also, yesterday was the first time I took it out this season and noticed my wired remote quit responding to everything. It still lights up but does nothing when anything is pressed. Does it sound like my entire system could just be going bad and needs to be replaced? When I have a CD on or am in AUX mode music sounds fine like it should...
Is there another similar model that would fit in the same bracket in the glove box with the same connections for my setup and wired remote or would I probably need to get an entirely new system? If I need a new system what would everyone recommend? I'd like one with a wired remote as I would have a empty hole or non-working old wired remote in there. Thanks for your help! -Freddie

Would my wired remote on the drivers dash work with anyone though or would i need to get another Jensen? Even then I'm not sure if the new ones are compatible? It is the original radio. I know nothing about wiring or anything to do with the radio setup ha.

Usually the remotes are specific to the brand of the head unit. I just replaced my original radio with a new kenwood and put in a new kenwood remote too.

If you are not comfortable with a re-wiring project, you should get help. These boat radios are basically a simple car radio. not hard to do but you should know what you are doing before you start.

I just replaced mine with a Jensen MS2, it works with the same remotes. I have another remote wired on the transom, and an amp supplying all the power anyways so I only need the head unit for input/output. If you remove the left front seatback though there should be a cutout where you can access all the wiring behind the dash. If you do decide to replace the unit though you'll need a removal tool. I was able to fashion my own with the metal tabs from the PCI slots on a computer case (had just built one) and some tin snips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ACMMOXQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Usually the remotes are specific to the brand of the head unit. I just replaced my original radio with a new kenwood and put in a new kenwood remote too.

If you are not comfortable with a re-wiring project, you should get help. These boat radios are basically a simple car radio. not hard to do but you should know what you are doing before you start.
What Kenwood system did you go with?

I just replaced mine with a Jensen MS2, it works with the same remotes. I have another remote wired on the transom, and an amp supplying all the power anyways so I only need the head unit for input/output. If you remove the left front seatback though there should be a cutout where you can access all the wiring behind the dash. If you do decide to replace the unit though you'll need a removal tool. I was able to fashion my own with the metal tabs from the PCI slots on a computer case (had just built one) and some tin snips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ACMMOXQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I wonder if I were to get a new radio would a car audio store that also does boats even have the key to get it out? I found two metal tabs that were in my radio boat documents but there are no slots on them like I see in the manual. I tried sticking them into the holes on the radio and that did not release anything... Thanks for mentioning taking out the seat for access. I did not think about that.

I wonder if I were to get a new radio would a car audio store that also does boats even have the key to get it out? I found two metal tabs that were in my radio boat documents but there are no slots on them like I see in the manual. I tried sticking them into the holes on the radio and that did not release anything... Thanks for mentioning taking out the seat for access. I did not think about that.

I can almost guarantee you a car audio shop would have one handy. It's nothing but a straight thin piece of metal. You're not having to hook anything or really manipulate anything back there. It's just getting pressed into the slot to depress a little release to let things slide out.

Thanks for all the replies! I was able to get the removal keys and insert them into the radio. I got the radio unlocked but could only pull it out about 4 inches. Is it locked underneath with screws or somewhere else i cannot see or do i just have to forcefully pull it out? When i push it back in it does lock back in place and the keys are needed again to get it loose. I also took off my front left top seat in front of the glovebox where the radio is hoping there would be a access hole but there was not.

Thanks for all the replies! I was able to get the removal keys and insert them into the radio. I got the radio unlocked but could only pull it out about 4 inches. Is it locked underneath with screws or somewhere else i cannot see or do i just have to forcefully pull it out? When i push it back in it does lock back in place and the keys are needed again to get it loose. I also took off my front left top seat in front of the glovebox where the radio is hoping there would be a access hole but there was not.

Sometimes there is a bolt through the backstrap, but if you can pull it out 4 inches that is probably not it. You are probably just getting hung up on something or the back wires are getting caught. Do you have any way to get behind the radio (under the dash)? Sorry, I don't have a Challenger so I am not very familiar with that specific layout.

Just had the front left seat-back off and reached back there and broke it loose w/ a box wrench then finished removing by hand.
What year and Seadoo boat do you have? On my 2008 Challenger 180 SE i cannot get to the glove box when the front left seat-back is off. There is no opening...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back