2008 Sea Doo Speedster 150 215hp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MTW

Hi,
I am strongly considering buying a 2008 Sea Doo Speedster 150 215hp and really only have one concern that I hope you could help me put to rest.
2012 was the last year for the Sea Doo boats with BRP, stating at that time that they would continue providing essential parts. Understanding most parts are shared with the similar powered jetski's and since the ski's are prolific I would assume those parts would continue to be produced for a very long time, but what about the parts specifically used for the speedster? - Do you think those could get to a point where they will not get produced any more?
Thank you in advance,
Martin

Welcome Martin. There is always a chance of this down the road. That goes for all boats though. After 15 years it becomes hard to find parts as many are marketed "obsolete" by the manufacturer.

I believe the fed regs place a 10 yr requirement for replacement parts. Even then, some will vanish as a third party makes the parts for the manufacture and they go out out business or are moved to another country.

Most parts can be found as people are stripping the boats for parts.

Thank you so much for the replies. Are there anything I need to look for that is a known as a weak point when buying a 2008 Speedster 150 215hp? - I know about the rebuild intervals on the super charger.

[MENTION=87327]MTW[/MENTION] we rebuild the superchargers and are local to you. Our current rate is $435.

Hi and good luck with your decision...

I have two boats, 1997 challenger 1800, this was my first boat. My wife and I both loved this boat...we took it out
to Devil's Island on Lake Superior...great boat.

I then got lucky and got a 2008 Speedster 150 215SC from an insurance auction...AND I love this boat MORE!!!
My wife doesn't...it is like running around in a Vett!!! Much easier to pull my boys on a wakeboard with...
tons of power, instantly up on plane. Runs GREAT...(when it starts, still figuring that one out)...
BUT that is an entirely different issue then the simple joy of this boat...

I can't recommend it more strongly...get the boat and enjoy. :)

[MENTION=87327]MTW[/MENTION] we rebuild the superchargers and are local to you. Our current rate is $435.

I live in Brooksville, Fl about 40 miles north of Tampa. Can I drop off my supercharger at your facility? If so what is the address?

Thank you!
71cuda2, how many hours do you have on yours?

Hi, well...the gauge said 76 hours when I got it going...
last I remember it said 78 and I have run it less than an hour
since the gauge went out...I have a new gauge on order.

I'm having an intermittent starting problem...but when it runs...
it runs like a dream. :)

I live in Brooksville, Fl about 40 miles north of Tampa. Can I drop off my supercharger at your facility? If so what is the address?

Second thread down on the main 4 Tec Sea Doo Boats page is the info on the supercharger rebuild by PWC Muscle. Use the link provided and purchase the rebuild. Then box up your supercharger with a copy of the rebuild receipt inside. Instead of mailing, I guess you'd just drop it off.

I literally just did this last week. Sent off our 2 superchargers Monday morning. Had them back in my hands by Saturday. Very quick turnaround and super easy to use.

Link to rebuild thread: http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?70191-Sea-Doo-Supercharger-Rebuild-Service

PWC Muscle
401 N Ashley Dr #173141
Tampa, Florida 33602
1 888 605-2335

Thank you 71cuda2. Is the Speedster in general known to have a lot of small issues? - I am asking as the one I want to buy also has had starter issues, gauge replaced and had been in the shop for decreased performance, with a cracked resonator despite only having 74 hours on it. I get you use thing and they eventually break but that much after only 74hours.

Well...I'm no expert, that's for sure, BUT I am very handy...so I'm not afraid of a few problems.
But my no start is most likely due to the fact the boat was an insurance claim and had been
submerged...where and how long I don't know. So it has a little bit of corrosion on a lot
of the electrical connections...

I think whoever sunk it forgot to close the drain plugs...because there is no hull damage at all...
just my thoughts...

Do you know 'what kind' of starting problems it has?? Could be simple...or not...hahaha :)

Thanks for explaining. It do not have start problems now - it was fixed - don't know what caused it though. I was just surprised seeing all the repair orders - initially just tossing it up to bad luck and not a general problem - until I saw that you had some of the same problems... well been submerged is a very valid reason for having little electric problems:) Yes the hull plugs are essential for a good day on the water!

IMG_4392.JPG

Love mine... No issues and just had the super charger rebuilt last week by PWC Muscle... super fast turn around... Completely helpful with all questions....

View attachment 38874

Love mine... No issues and just had the super charger rebuilt last week by PWC Muscle... super fast turn around... Completely helpful with all questions....

My buddy has the exact same boat. Thing is a blast.

We also had our twin superchargers rebuilt by PWCMuscle last week as well. I agree on the super fast turnaround. Sent ours out on Monday, had them back by Saturday. Granted, I'm in the same state, but still quick service.

Well...I'm no expert, that's for sure, BUT I am very handy...so I'm not afraid of a few problems.
But my no start is most likely due to the fact the boat was an insurance claim and had been
submerged...where and how long I don't know. So it has a little bit of corrosion on a lot
of the electrical connections...

I think whoever sunk it forgot to close the drain plugs...because there is no hull damage at all...
just my thoughts...

Do you know 'what kind' of starting problems it has?? Could be simple...or not...hahaha :)

Could have sunk for a couple of other reasons besides the drain plugs. I believe the 150 has a scupper that can become stuck open. She could have been swamped. Could have had an exhaust system or a carbon ring leak. Who knows.

You're definitely going to have to take an afternoon and clean up each and every connection and ground. A wire brush, some CRC and dielectric grease (where required) will go a long way to freshening up your electrical system while ensuring all connections are good.

Yea...I have already done up all the easy grounds and fuses...
really all that are left are the connections to the sensors and the plug to plug areas...
but I'll get them all...nothing worse than unreliable starting...

But when she runs...she runs, she runs GREAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back