2008 RXP-X Supercharger seized?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

killercut

234 hours. So I finally got new wear rings in and switched the prop to solas 15/21 (it was on the rxp 215 for some reason). At WOT it was just a hair over 8000rpm. GPS said 66mph.
Did about 20 miles back and forth mostly WOT. When I was back near the ramp I was playing around with reverse, for some reason when I was adding even 1/4 throttle while doing reverse the rear of the ski would get sucked down and start to go under the water, but I heard a whining noise start when I did that, so I stopped. Heard the whining noise again when I was making sharp right turns (I mostly like to do left turns). So I stopped doing that too. Now whining noise was there all the time, pointed at the ramp, gave a burst of 1/4 throttle and then shut off the engine. When I finally got to the ramp I tried to start it up and it would crank VERY SLOWLY or only turn over one time per try. Got it home, took the plugs out. cranked at 120-160rpm. Would not start at all since I shut it off.

I'm guessing Supercharger bearing seized up?

I would like to remove it to confirm and see if I could fire up the engine.
I'm guessing I need to remove throttle body and intercooler and everything to clean it up if there is any metal dust right?

Oil level when warm is at the top mark, when cold near the middle.
Coolant middle. Spark plugs have like 2 hours on them.

So can I run the engine for a few seconds without a supercharger connected?
Anyone sell a block off plate for where the supercharger goes? I would actually be very happy to ride it without the supercharger. I like to ride my jet skis holding full throttle most of the time (trying to keep it at 2/3 throttle is annoying), 66mph gets annoying with all that wind. I would rather do 45 or less...

Ugh, I now hate jet skis. I want an old 600cc 2 stroke.

OHH, almost forgot the most important thing. NOWHERE does it say to start the engine after installing a new wear ring. Once I put the ski in the water, all the water was coming into the ski from the shaft area (likely carbon ring). I drained it and then started up the engine for a few sec, a small burst and then shut it off, then back into the water and it was sealed up again... The water level likely was just above half way up that exhaust pipe in the left rear corner of the engine. That was pretty scary, there is no hope if your carbon ring gets destroyed while riding. You are sinking in a matter of seconds, don't even bother with bilge pumps. Carry a life raft instead, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blocking the SC off will cost you 25 MPH and serious performance. The engine in your ski is a LOW COMPRESSION motor. Without the SC, it is pretty weak.

Could have a shaft bearing seizing. Fairly common.

So was I. There is 1 bearing in the pump and another on the shaft by the carbon seal, right? So the pump is fine, if you are saying that its a bad shaft bearing, it must be the one next to the carbon seal...if that one is seized wouldnt it be seized right on the shaft and make it really hard to get out? Can a seized shaft bearing really cause the engine to barely turn over?

And dont i have to take the c clip off to take the shaft off?

and ive read somewhere that you are supposed to grease that bearing after every use? Huh, you cant even see or reach there with the seat tray on and all those big fat hoses,, its not in the owners manual either. Where would all that extra grease go?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was trying to figure out my noise . So I can run the ski without the s/c on? I sent my s/c to pwc for rebuild. last year I had my shaft replaced and all the parts . I posted a video you could watch and give your opinion.

Isnt there a bearing in the PTO coupler where the driveshaft enters the engine...?

Anyways, I didn't get to take the driveshaft out yet. But I did get the supercharger out and the engine started right up without it and ran fine, for 1-2 seconds, I had to shut it off cuz water was coming out the waterbox/exhaust pipe thingy and oil out of the engine where the supercharger was...

So its definitely a bad supercharger. I need to figure out how to take it apart without special tools...

So now what... Do I need to take half the engine apart? The washers on the supercharger are metal and still on. There was what looked like aluminum dust in 1 or 2 of the hoses from the supercharger...

I also think there is oil leaking from that PTO coupler or somewhere, after cleaning and flushing there was oil coming out of the drain plugs every time I used this jetski...

I'm not sure exactly what I need to do now, other than order a new supercharger, I'm betting I need to drain oil and change filters at least... What else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back