2008 Challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

skiasylum

This boat is for sale near me and could use some advice. Condition is excellent with 65 hours and fresh maintenance. They are asking $11,500. I am familiar with the 215, I own a Wake Pro. Is the price right and anything I should know about the boat when I go look a it. Planning a on the water test ride.

Can you provide a link to the boat you're asking about? Location?

Low hour boats always worry me as boats and other toys that sit usually have more issues than those that are used and maintained regularly (seals, fuel system, bearings, etc). 65 hour 10 year old boat, that's roughly 6.5 hours/year.

If it's a salt water boat, there's more worry of corrosion and damage from improper flushing and maintenance. Fresh water usually fairs much better.

I'd definitely check for supercharger maintenance. Older maintenance schedule is 100 hours or 2 years. Definitely should have been serviced at least once since 2008. If not serviced, I'd plan on rebuilding it to ensure things are good to go ($450). I'd factor that in to my negotiating.

For any boat, check everything. Check all electronics are working (bilge pump, nav and anchor lights, stereo, gauges, depth finder, etc).

Make sure the boat is cold when you arrive, so you can see how she'll start for you when/if she's yours. I'm always suspicious of boats that have been warmed up prior to my inspection.

Check bilge prior to putting in water to see if any water is present. Check again after test ride to see if any entered during test ride (could indicate a leak in exhaust or carbon seal). When boat is pulled from water, remove drain plug to see what comes out, if anything).

Check pump for corrosion, impeller/wear ring condition. See what kind of maintenance records owner has for bearing grease (behind nose cone) and wear rings.

Check hull for any damage. Light scratches and scrapes can usually be sanded or buffed out, but anything through the gelcoat will need to be repaired, which can be costly.

If it comes with a trailer, make sure trailer is in good shape. and all lights are working. Ask if the trailer has been serviced (bearings, brakes, etc.).

If all checks out, make an offer. Being the end of boating season you have the advantage as very few are currently looking to buy this time of year with holidays coming and water time becoming less for most. Boat is worth what you're willing to pay for it.

A quick search on Boattrader shows older (2006-2008) 180s as low as $7500 up to $14000 (for the wake edition).

Hope this helps.

SeaDoo Challenger 180 Jet Boat w/ 215 HP + Serviced & Only 65 Hours

Also curious about towing with this boat, I would think there would be enough power to ski and wake board. I read a factory option was a tower and is that still be available to add to boat. Is there a pop up pylon or anything like that standard?

Also just read the boats were a year behind on the supercharger washers and they didn’t go metal until 2009.
So I have to worry about a previous ceramic washer fail and rebuild. So if there is no record of a sc rebuild and the boat does over 40mph and runs good probably ok to buy it and pull and rebuild sc this fall?

Thanks

Last edited:
SeaDoo Challenger 180 Jet Boat w/ 215 HP + Serviced & Only 65 Hours

Also curious about towing with this boat, I would think there would be enough power to ski and wake board. I read a factory option was a tower and is that still be available to add to boat. Is there a pop up pylon or anything like that standard?

Thanks

Boat looks pretty clean from the pics. I'd certainly go look at it. Skiing behind a jetboat is not ideal due to the jet wash and "dirty" water behind the boat. The wake will be minimal at best, but still doable.

My buddy had the wake edition and we struggled to get around with someone on the rope and a full boat of people and gear. If you don't have more than a couple of people in the boat, you may like the way it tows, but that's clearly subjective and up to you. I'd recommend bringing your wakeboard and skis and asking the owner for a pull to see if it will work for you (bring a few bucks for gas though).

Not sure about the pylon. Our 210 has a hole on the transom for a short pole, but I'm not certain about the non-towered 180s.

Watch rpms on test ride. Should be 7700-8000 at full throttle. If shes doesn't pull over 6000 ish, sc is done. As mentioned, these 2008's had the ceramic washers and need to be changed immediately. With the low hours, I bet the owner never changed them. As long as it runs good at the moment, its not a problem and you can change them after you buy it. I did the same in 2014 with my 2008, got it with 35 hours and had the sc rebuilt immediately after purchasing. 140 hours now and not a single issue. Great low maintenance boats!

Also just read the boats were a year behind on the supercharger washers and they didn’t go metal until 2009.
So I have to worry about a previous ceramic washer fail and rebuild. So if there is no record of a sc rebuild and the boat does over 40mph and runs good probably ok to buy it and pull and rebuild sc this fall?

Thanks
I have an 06 180 and pull skiers and tubes no issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back