2007 Wake 155 Maint - Spark Plug and Oil Change

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

superheropunk

Well, I did my first spark plug and oil change maint using the seadoo maint kit. last night not too bad but there are 2 things that are bothering me.

#1. The first new spark plug I looked at was gapped about where it needed to be and forgot to check the rest.
#2. Wasn't able to fit the torque wrench in on the torx screw for the oil filter lid. 80 Ft lbs seems like an awful lot of torque. Just tighted with a socket wrench.

Are any of these things major? I would hate to pull the 2 plugs. The oil screw I could put the proper amount of torque without much grief.

I think you are just fine. A few tips for next time though:

1: Spark plugs - It is a good idea (and the service manual tells you to do this) to put a little anti-sieze on the threads of the new plugs before installation, and a little bit of dielectric grease on the plug shaft where it seats on the coil boot. Not a requirement, but good idea for next time since these are marine engines and subject to moisture almost constantly. The OEM NGK plugs I get are always gapped correctly, sometimes a bit on the tight side so I would not worry about it.

2: Oil filter cap torque: I never use a torque wrench on the cap, just get it snug and you should have no problems. Major thing to check is that the o-rings are in tact and not damaged before you reinstall the cap.

Also be sure that the oil level is never above the top bend in dip stick. The correct oil level should be right in the midddle of the bends, too much oil is NOT good for these engines. On your first ride out let it warm up and then check fluid levels again. As long as you have no leaks and all fluid levels are correct you are good to go for the year.

Great Thanks!!!

#1 - I did put the anti-sieze and the silicone grease on the plug boot per the maint instructions. Glad they are gapped correctly. It did seem to run just fine afterwards.

#2 - The Maint kit comes with new O-Rings and just replaced the old ones for good measure. On the torx screw for the oil filter there are two orings. One at the end of the screw and one towards the top which is a thicker oring. I need to find out where that should go? I left it over the cap then put the screw on but wonder if it should went inside where the filter is...?

Hmmm, if the oil should be in the middle I might need to pull just a little out which will not give me much heartburn.

Oh, and one more thing. I bought the marine grease and grease gun but not sure what to do with it. Think I found the PTO but there didn't appear to be a zerk fitting on it. Do you happen to know about the 2007 GTX Wake 155? Everywhere it seems there is suppose to be a zerk fitting on the PTO but I didn't see it.

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you did the spark plug change just right.

There is an o-ring that goes between the screw and the top of the oil filter cap, and it is the thicker one. So it sounds like you did that correct. Not sure about the o-ring at the end of the screw though, don't recall it for some reason. Wait, maybe I do. I think the screw is flanged down near the threads and the bottom o-ring rests on that flange above the treads. Been a couple months since I changed the oil and I just don't remember. Sounds like you did a perfect job, I would not worry. Just double check the oil level and make sure it is below the top bend in the stick.

There are no grease fittings on the newer Seadoo's. The older PWC's did have a bearing type drive shaft seal that needed to be greased after a day of riding, but the newer ski's and boat's now use what is called a carbon seal system. Nothing to grease with that gun you got, but it probably would not hurt to put a couple shots into the trailer bearings!

Only thing I would lube are the cables and linkages inside and outside the ski with a good white lithium lube. Then spray the entire engine down periodically with something like WD-40 to keep moisture at bay.

You may also want to consider changing the engine coolant while you are doing your yearly maintenance. I like to change mine every 2 years, so depending on your interval it may be something worth doing. It's very easy, almost easier than the spark plugs.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

I have two 2007 Wake 155 SeaDoos. I replaced the oil for the first time last October using the maintenance kit. When I removed the filter on each Doo, I was very careful to see where any o-rings were placed. The kit had two small o-rings but did not indicate where they belong. The thick o-ring under the bolt was in the old set-up, so I replaced it. I was wondering what the other small o-ring was for and was concerned that I missed something, but both of my Doos did not have this. I have since used the Doos and there is no oil leak. So, I assume that other small o-ring was for some other setup.

Devonte007, why is too much oil bad? Does it spray out or cause engine problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why exactly too much oil is bad, but the shop manual states to not over fill the oil or it will limit engine performance and cause permanent damage. I suspect that overfilling the oil raises the oil pressure simply because these are very close tolerance engines. Too much oil and pressure can cause the pistons to slap at the oil as they come down which builds more pressure eventually leading to busted seals and such.

My first oil change, I filled just a little over the top bend by accident and thought it would be ok. First trip out, after engine warmed up, got a loud beep and check engine light. Figured it was oil pressure, took some oil out and everything is fine.

Not sure if I have the correct answer, but hopefully close to the truth. I'm sure someone else with a better idea of the issue will chime in. But until then lets just make sure we all maintain the correct oil level in our engines and have a good boating summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back