2007 RXT 215 no start no beep no anything

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stunya

All...long time lurker, first time poster...

My 07 RXT 215 has very low hours and i have owned since new. All maintenance has been done personally or at the dealership. I recently towed it about 400 miles for a vacation. The week before the unit started and ran with no issues. I logged about 2-3 hours and it ran perfectly.

Upon my arrival on vacation, the unit did not start, when connecting the key, there was no beep, nothing. Battery is reading 12.8 volts, all fuses are fine, and i was able to roll over the starter with no problem by jumping the leads (thanks to the posts i found on this site). I tried 3 keys (two regular and one speed limit key) with no results. I cleaned the key and the dess post with no results. I am leaning towards it being a problem with the DESS post, but it gave me no signs of failure what so ever. Started on first try last week, one week later, nothing.

My local dealership is less than helpful and i want to be sure i am leaning on the right thing before i spend the 100 bucks for the replacement part. Does anyone have anything else that i should try first?

Thanks for looking any help is greatly appreciated. Want to get a few last rides in before we lose the great weather in NJ!

You've done all you can do so far. If it were me I would replace the DESS post. Your ski is not known for any other electrical issues and the post is the weak link at this point.

I say this assuming all fuses and connections are good. :cheers:

You've done all you can do so far. If it were me I would replace the DESS post. Your ski is not known for any other electrical issues and the post is the weak link at this point.

I say this assuming all fuses and connections are good. :cheers:

Dennis, thanks for the response...just making sure i didnt miss anything.

Before spending $100, you should test the post first. Unplug the DESS post connector and measure resistance between the black and black/yellow wires. Should be open circuit when the lanyard is not on and a closed circuit when the lanyard is attached. I think you are on the right track with your diagnoses and it will be an open circuit when the lanyard is on, but it's a simple check.

Posts do fail sometimes just out of the blue and go completely dead. There is nothing that special about them though, they are just a magnetic switch. I have a box full of used ones, $40 each, and new ones for much less than retail in both 3 and 4 wire versions, can't remember if yours is a 3 or 4 wire but I'll look up and make sure it has the correct terminals and connector. And if it doesn't fix it and it is something else, send it back, I'll refund your money minus shipping. You can contact me at ohiopowersports@woh.rr.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before spending $100, you should test the post first. Unplug the DESS post connector and measure resistance between the black and black/yellow wires. Should be open circuit when the lanyard is not on and a closed circuit when the lanyard is attached. I think you are on the right track with your diagnoses and it will be an open circuit when the lanyard is on, but it's a simple check.

Posts do fail sometimes just out of the blue and go completely dead. There is nothing that special about them though, they are just a magnetic switch. I have a box full of used ones, $40 each, and new ones for much less than retail in both 3 and 4 wire versions, can't remember if yours is a 3 or 4 wire but I'll look up and make sure it has the correct terminals and connector. And if it doesn't fix it and it is something else, send it back, I'll refund your money minus shipping. You can contact me at ohiopowersports@woh.rr.com.

great info. i do not have a repair manual for it. ill test the switch and report back. I do not like my local dealer at all..they do not want to be helpful (even if i were to buy parts from them)...they just want me to "drop it off for repairs." I am not big on writing blank checks.

Thanks...ill get back with you shortly.

ok, tested black and black/yellow wires and they responded as they should...open when no key, closed with keyt attached. i decided to start looking for maybe a bad ground wire, etc...and left the key on for about 5 minutes. somewhere during that time period the relay began to "buzz/click" nearly continuously for about 30 seconds (which i have never heard before), shortly after that the fuel pump kicked on the the "beeping" you normally hear at start up started.

I test started the ski and all was normal.

Now my question is, do i just have a failing relay or did i jiggle something and bring the system back by accident. I swear i touched all wires while on vacation, but who knows. Is that relay available at an autoparts store...or is it seadoo specific?

Thanks for the assistance with the troublshooting.

Almost everything is seadoo specific. Not sure what relay you are referring to, starter relay or TOPS valve? Did you check the 30A fuse that is near the starter relay for corrosion and good contact? Sounds like you have a bad connnection somewhere that is supplying main power, be thorough and check connections especially the wires that supply power to the mpem and main power and ground wires.

Almost everything is seadoo specific. Not sure what relay you are referring to, starter relay or TOPS valve? Did you check the 30A fuse that is near the starter relay for corrosion and good contact? Sounds like you have a bad connnection somewhere that is supplying main power, be thorough and check connections especially the wires that supply power to the mpem and main power and ground wires.

the starter relay is in the main fuse box...that is not the one that was buzzing. the one that was buzzing was the one in the auxiliary closure that has just 1 relay (VJ28-95F7-S01) and 2 30 amp fuses. All fuses and closures are corrosion free and appear to be in great condition.

Thanks

That is your main relay in fuse box 2 and is a fairly standard automotive relay, about $5 if you can find it at an autoparts store but not sure how to cross reference it, it's only $12 from seadoo. They don't normally fail but if that isn't working, your whole system will be dead like you describe. You can test it as well, functions like a standard open/close 12v relay, just google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back