2007 GTI - no power issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew59

I just purchased this Sea-Doo on Saturday, had multiple test drives including the first one where a cooling hoes came off (rusted hose clamp) and I started taking on water. First time in 59 years that I have been on a jet ski but I have watched enough youtube videos of people sinking jet skis, that I got the ski to land quickly and we were able to fix it.

The GTI has 150 hours on it and and when I was out riding yesterday (3rd ride of the day) it just quit. No power, no sound, no gauges, nothing. Played with the magnet key but still nothing. I only have this one key.

Paddled back home... that was fun and started testing. All fuses good, tested with ohm meter. Tested the 30 am main fuse and it was good too. Tested the battery and it was fine, 12v.

I tested the lower positive terminal on the fuse box and it has 12v coming to it.

I tested the upper positive terminal and nothing, no voltage (one probe on the pos terminal and one on the neg terminal of the battery). Not sure if that is normal to not have voltage there.

Would it be a problem with that 30 amp relay attached to the fuse box??

Since the motor would not run I could not flush it out and I am very concerned about that since I am in salt water.

Today at lunch I thought maybe 12 volt output on the battery was not enough so took it out and it is currently charging. My battery charger said it was 50% charged (not sure that means anything) but after two hours it is almost fully charged.

Will stick in back in a see what happens.

After reading several forum posts one thing I remember that stuck out, several owners hit the start/stop button without the key on and it seemed to do a re-set?? I have not tried that yet but will tonight.

Since I am new to jet skis and of course Sea-Doos I am open to any and all advice on all topics.

Thank you.

Matthew

Once you install the battery, jump the solenoid. Does it crank or not?
If you don;t know where it is, follow the main positive wire from the battery, the first place it will go is the solenoid. Use a screwdriver or pliers and jump from that post to the post on the other side of the solenoid. What happens?

Charged the battery, installed it back in place and put the key on and it beeped and started right up. I flushed it from yesterdays use and covered it back up.

So if a battery only has a 12 volt output thats low enough to get NO power at all (no click). I did not check the voltage output but maybe it is 12.8?? Or was it because I took the battery out and put it back in and made a better connection? Or maybe a combination of both.

I know the ski sat at the dealers for at least a year and they probably only charged the battery when someone wanted to test drive it. So is my battery toast? I have a solar trickle charger coming in tomorrow that I will leave on the battery and see how that helps.

Love to hear any comments and tips that a new owner should know about the Sea-Doo.

Thank you CoastieJoe.... I see your also a Floridian

Just quit while riding....
Simple cheap stuff first. Clean the battery connectors. Pull them off, clean, reattach and spray preserve oil to keep out the Oxygen.
Test the battery using a stress amp test. Vent batteries are famous for failing because the electrolite is dumped overboard. Get a AGM sealed battery. Mine last me three years.

What spray preserve is a good recommendation?

I am guessing an AGM battery is a marine gel battery.

What would the voltage output be for a fully charged battery?

Thank you.

image.jpg image.jpg
Pic above is how you test a battery. Under load and it is in the green. Just replaced one that was 3 yrs old. It would have been it's fourth year.

AGM Motorcycle or PWC Battery, find in any independent battery shop. Voltage on a fully charged battery is 13+ volts. Voltage while running is 14.5 from the Alternator. But that is not how you test for bad battery.
Preserve oils... SeaDoo preserve oil. LPS 3. BoeX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back