2006 Seadoo Speedster Build/Engine Swap help- Pics!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

Just picked up a 2006 seadoo speedster 200 with the twin-supercharged Motors so the 430 HP
I’ve owned jet skis in the past and way back had a challenger 1800 with the twin 787’s

the boat is kinda rough I have a new interior on order and hydro turf mats

One engine seems to run fine needs some maintenance and doesn’t look like the seadoo oil but runs well

the other I’m just getting a click from the solenoid tried to jump it nothing doing just a clunk from the starter

started to dive deeper and pulled the plugs they all looked horrible and one looked kinda smashed (see pics)

The coolant tank was empty

no coolant in the oil but seems like it has too much oil though

Looks to me like the valve dropped and worse case damaged the motor and block is cracked which would suck

My first question is there any ski that if I source a motor that it would be kinda like plug and play after I swap the accessories? or are these boat motors and completely different setup?

I've had Yamaha gp1300r's in the past and pulled the motor never worked on a four-stroke 4tec but I don't see how it could be super difficult I don't think I can rebuild a motor but definitely, to pull and install a new one I should be ok especially since I can always take a look at the other motor and see how things go

Any and all help would be appreciated as this boat is starting to add up fast

Stay tuned for a full interior overhaul plan to post with pics along the way!

Here are some pics of the day I got it gave her a full detail
will post pics of her clean in a bit

Attachments

• tempImagegB7XVi.png
    tempImagegB7XVi.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • tempImagedTWkF1.png
    tempImagedTWkF1.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • tempImageXBxtEe.png
    tempImageXBxtEe.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • tempImageWR4pSc.png
    tempImageWR4pSc.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • tempImageUU2ca8.png
    tempImageUU2ca8.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • tempImageydTX6w.png
    tempImageydTX6w.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • tempImageGcBTNA.png
    tempImageGcBTNA.png
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • tempImage2VNreH.png
    tempImage2VNreH.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 26
  • tempImagehPiFvR.png
    tempImagehPiFvR.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • tempImagejaxCsS.png
    tempImagejaxCsS.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
Here are the pics of the plugs
the smashed one was from the cylinder closest to the back of the boat not sure if it is the 1st or the 3rd cylinder
looks like it was running lean as well

Attachments

• tempImageOegHF7.png
    tempImageOegHF7.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • tempImagexLPpyn.png
    tempImagexLPpyn.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • tempImageQJLpT5.png
    tempImageQJLpT5.png
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • tempImageJtwhdC.png
    tempImageJtwhdC.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Hey guys

no answers??

this forum used to be popping or maybe people just gave up on these boats

I figured I'd share an update and some knowledge I learned for the stalkers

the only difference is the 215 HP engines is the little cover covering the back of the engine kinda behind the supercharger

there are two major variations on the way the sensors are located one at 7 o'clock and one at 12 o'clock position see attached pics

Other than that the long blocks are interchangeable

Attachments

• IMG_6691.PNG
    IMG_6691.PNG
    481.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6693.PNG
    IMG_6693.PNG
    464.8 KB · Views: 22
  • tempImagetCctEu.png
    tempImagetCctEu.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
As far as my engine goes crank won't turn looks like it definitely dropped a valve and might've gone through all the way to the block being that the coolant tank was empty isn't a good sign speaking to some friends this was an early seadoo problem

went to look at 2 motors today but both had bad compression on the 3rd cylinder

Hopefully going to be picking up a motor tomorrow from a newer ski that was totaled and dropping in over the weekend

A little cleanup interior before and after pics with some new hydro turf and a really good scrubbing

I put the front pieces on but not sure how i feel about those

The buffer should be here with some pads next week for the outside

Interior pieces are a week out

Does anyone have any idea where to source a bimini/tower for this boat?

Attachments

• tempImagekFyYof.png
    tempImagekFyYof.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • tempImageNTn3Ml.png
    tempImageNTn3Ml.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • tempImageVGkoVg.png
    tempImageVGkoVg.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • tempImageIl49CM.png
    tempImageIl49CM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImageP6odev.png
    tempImageP6odev.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImagepgrlfU.png
    tempImagepgrlfU.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • tempImageIOJqhc.png
    tempImageIOJqhc.png
    3 MB · Views: 13
  • FD900BCB-7AEE-412C-8F84-9F7CF09CB636.JPG
    FD900BCB-7AEE-412C-8F84-9F7CF09CB636.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 22
I haven’t heard the best things about sbt’s motors especially for the price going to look at a motor from a 2010 ski that hit the nose and was totaled hopefully that should work and be a plug and play
Agreed, should be close to plug-and-play, but you know how it goes.

Just picked up the motor last night going to hopefully drop-in in the next couple days waiting for the gasket kit to come from SBT

Not sure why the image is loading sideways though
tempImagepHpB6O.png

Definitely not plug and play. The boats are a year behind and you have a 2005 motor. You can confirm by the date code on the front of the motor but I can tell by the pics that you have the old style TOPS system and your mag pick up is at 12:00 which is pre 2006. So, your crankshaft is pinned differently from the motor you just bought. You will need to drill the mag cup to correct the timing alignment or use the newer pto housing but I see your new motor didn't come with one. All 4tec motors can be swapped and interchanged if you know what you are doing.

the only difference is the 215 HP engines is the little cover covering the back of the engine kinda behind the supercharger
Not true, several differences between 215 sc and NA motors including pistons, camshaft, ECU, etc.

There were lots of changes from 2005 to 2007 and 2006 was a mid year conversion. One of the biggest you noted above was the mag pickup coil position but more importantly was the pin in the crankshaft position had to change with it. There also is a vent hole above the CB shaft that enabled the new TOPS system to work properly when it switched from the front of the motor with the solenoid to the mechanical system at the rear of the motor.

Last edited:
Definitely not plug and play. The boats are a year behind and you have a 2005 motor. You can confirm by the date code on the front of the motor but I can tell by the pics that you have the old style TOPS system and your mag pick up is at 12:00 which is pre 2006. So, your crankshaft is pinned differently from the motor you just bought. You will need to drill the mag cup to correct the timing alignment or use the newer pto housing but I see your new motor didn't come with one. All 4tec motors can be swapped and interchanged if you know what you are doing.
Ok
Thank you for the reply
I can buy the pto cover from this motor should I just do that?
Speaking with SBT ( I know they’re not experts but I didn’t have any other resource)
They claimed it should be interchangeable
If I buy the pto cover anything else to worry about when swapping ?

Ok
Thank you for the reply
I can buy the pto cover from this motor should I just do that?
Speaking with SBT ( I know they’re not experts but I didn’t have any other resource)
They claimed it should be interchangeable
If I buy the pto cover anything else to worry about when swapping ?
Just to be clear I’m planning on pulling the old motor and dropping in the new one and just swapping the “accessories “

The easiest thing to do is to just drill the hole in the mag cup. Have done it many times and works perfectly. This is explained in detail on other forums. It will still be a few degrees off but the ECU will adjust timing and it will run perfectly. Everything else will work, you may have to swap valve covers depending on vent hole.

@ski-d00 here are some pics

the first one is off the new motor pto hoiusing the guy is willing to sell me that part he wants the stator and the crank sensor though tempImageeoab4E.jpg

post a pic straight on of the crank output so we can see the mag cup

Does the front plate of the motor say 2011? I've switched cranks out on lots of motors so the only way to tell is by confirming when it's apart.

so weird... it came out of a 2011 ski

I don't see why the guy would lie and put on a wrong nameplate,

but this should bolt up to my boat?

do you think I should buy the PTO housing or can I just use mine?

motor looks like a 2011 but that pto housing is 2005 or older

need to confirm that he didn't put an older crank in that 2011 motor which is why he used that pto housing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back