2006 GTX cluster powers on when battery is connected

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Jpse

I recently purchased a 2006 gtx with 6hrs sitting forever, starts up with carb clean
The clusters giving me a code for fuel pump which I already removed and is bad
I’ve ordered so it seems the cluster is working
The MPEM bottom right plug (#1) had corrosion which I cleaned
But the cluster still turns on when I connect the battery, I’m not sure what turns the cluster on MPEM or the ECU
Which one houses the power supply relay
When i connect battery 1 short beep 1 long beep it just keeps on beeping
Plug the key on and will get the 2 beeps
I read one post on here similar but no answer/fix was ever answered
Jason

Regulator/rectifier, pull it and test the diodes in the rectifier. If one of the diodes is bad it will allow battery to power the ski all the time.

The MPEM supplies the ground for the cluster. If it’s not the rectifier it’s probably the mpem.

The rectifier supplies power to the MPEM also, RD/BL wire.

Last edited:
Thanks will check it when I get home
Makes sense the guy said he hooked a battery charger to and probably didn’t disconnect the battery
Will definitely let people know the answer once solved

Well tested the diodes in the rectifier and they passed, so I guess it must be the MPEM unfortunately will do a little more diagnosing but I’m concluding MPEM
Also has any one been successfull making your own external power supply relay(I know automotive relays won’t work,and to purchase one like on a spark you have to buy the harness to get that relay) just thinking outside the box.
This ski was never in saltwater and stored inside
If anyone has ever had this problem and resolved it please chime in with your experience
Skiasylum I appreciate your advice when I put an MPEM in it and it does solve my problem I will let all know

Well finally got a mpem
Quick FYI 2005-2006 only works on those two years even though 01-04 have same part number they will give you a blow by code thanks to Dennis at candoo for that info, i almost bought a 04
Well did not fix problem still beeps 3 times quick forever
Have a new cluster coming today for different ski will try it on this one first 🤞maybe that’s it
Will keep posted, many projects sorry it took so long to repost

Well finally got a mpem
Quick FYI 2005-2006 only works on those two years even though 01-04 have same part number they will give you a blow by code thanks to Dennis at candoo for that info, i almost bought a 04
Well did not fix problem still beeps 3 times quick forever
Have a new cluster coming today for different ski will try it on this one first 🤞maybe that’s it
Will keep posted, many projects sorry it took so long to repost

I still think its your regulator/rectifier allowing battery current to back flow to your gauges thru a bad diode. The bad diode in my 2005 skidoo was very hard to diagnose. It would only allow current to back flow momentarily when testing but would power up my gauges with everything off until the battery died.

I went ahead and replaced the rectifier when you recommended I did check old one but replaced anyway since it was a lot cheaper then the mpem, was hoping my meter was faulty so got a new meter just to make sure it wasn’t the meter and got same readings
I just got one of those Chinese clusters today for another ski and will try it, but I don’t think that’s the problem but it can’t hurt to try
Otherwise I’ll have to do a work around some how

If the cluster doesn’t do it I’ll follow the power from cluster to the source , I probably should have done that already just busy on several other skis

The 2006 year is an oddball year where it has the newer style cluster but still has an mpem which was eliminated in 2007. The gauge is powered through the mpem and almost always the gauge turning on when there is no key attached with a properly working DESS post is an mpem problem.

The cluster can't turn on until it gets power from the mpem so the cluster isn't your problem.

The quick beeps your getting sounds like the key reminder and is normal. Does the new mpem power on the gauge with the DESS post unplugged?

Yeah the cluster is still powered on with dess post unplugged but the beeping stopped
The cluster is giving check engine but no codes ,will try candoo with post unplugged see if I get anything, mpem is giving power and ground to pins for cluster with connector one unplugged so possible bad mpem original I got mpem issue with candoo this one is not reading a problem , I I’ve tracked down a connection where someone already replaced the post and it’s all corroded so I’m thinking it’s part of the problem im going to order one
hoping someone how it’ll turn ground signal off in mpem , will see
Thanks for the help
Jason

I would think if you unplugged connector 1 and 2 on the MPEM and probe which wire or wires are supplying power or a signal to it when everything is off you would have your culprit. There are 9 wires connecting the ECM to the MPEM. So the ECM is definitely in the equation. Pin 2-25 and 2-2 are from the TOPS switch which share the same 5amp fuse with the cluster.

1-18 and 1-8 are the power and ground for the cluster.

1-25,1-19, 2-2G are from the battery and rectifier

Last edited:
Well I decided to try something I saw on YouTube
I took the ecm from a 2008 rtx 215 super charged plugged it in connected battery and it fixed the problem didn’t power up till I put dess key from that ecm on
I didn’t start it due to it being a different model
I appreciate all that brainstormed to help me
This ecm is from a ski I’m parting out,so one question will it work for this ski? If not does anyone have and an 06 gtx 155 ecm and want to trade for an 08 rtx 215 ecm this supposedly had very low hours cluster was toast but I could hook up to 155 again and check with candoo and check hours which I’ll do eventually, cause the long block is going in a 11 rpx x
Thanks again Jason

well this is a pricey item
I would think the power control relay is stuck on , something I forgot to mention was I put the fuel pump in it powers on to so the whole ski powers on
I think a work around for this could be using pin 2-26 which gives ground when key gets near post have that trigger a 30 amp relay cut 1-25 wire and have the relay control the power since it seems to power everything on and possibly add a constant power for b11 yet it might backfeed unless I cut wire to b11
Idk
But then I’m back to blaming the mpem
Maybe I’ll try to hook other ecm up and try to start it the guy on YouTube did said they’ll run for a second then die cause wrong tune yet that ecm doesn’t have mpem in that model so that might be why everything didn’t power up ( yet it did when I put key on)(a little edit) and that’s not it o boy probably sounding crazy
Am I crazy I just like no parts required like pine hollow diagnostics Ivan will fix modules and parts which I do ( I’m a car mechanic) and modules aren’t potted on cars so you can get to the boards and find offending culprit and 5$ at digikey solder it on done
Okay I’m done for now going to put ecm back on n try to start it
Hopefully my rant didn’t bore ya

Last edited:
In the snowmobile world 04-06 sleds with your problem the guys just pull the 30amp fuse to isolate the battery when not in use if it’s the ECM. That’s presuming everything else works.

Yeah you’re right skiasyum I’m not gonna spend any more money, it runs fine every thing works
I can get a battery disconnect for 8$ install it in the glove box and call it a day
Thanks

Back