2006 gtx 215 engine failure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Seadoojim1

2006 GTX limited I got off a buddy. Engine was “rebuilt” 10hr in stopped running and was found the flywheel bolts broke off in crank shaft. The Shop pulled engine so I got it in pieces. Apon my inspection I found the engine turns over maybe one rotation then stops. I pulled the plugs out. Pulled the rocker shaft to see maybe if it jumped time. All valves free and still would not turn over. Obviously going to need a new stator it’s toast. Part of block broken that I am pointing to in pics. How critical is that appears to just sit at edge of chain tensioner could probably fix it.
Worth pulling head and digging into bottom end or jsut buy and SBT short block if head looks alright ?

Attachments

• IMG_2427.jpeg
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    502.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2421.jpeg
    IMG_2421.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2420.jpeg
    IMG_2420.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Looks like that chunk of metal is just holding up the chain tensioner. this is a terrible picture, but hopefully it helps if you zoom in to that area. I would be worried that its no longer supporting that chain properly. May be better to just do an SBT shortblock. I have had good experience with stuff from them. Replaced my 97 wave venture engine with one of theirs.

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_214321470.jpg
    PXL_20220714_214321470.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 8
I would get a shortblock , it looks like the bolts are broken off in the crank and there's no way to get those out without damaging the crank , it looks like they tried to reuse the old bolts or they didn't follow the correct torque procedure with new ones. In any case the old engine would require a complete tear down just to get the debris out first , additional to the damage to the crank and the block.

Back