2006 GTI SE Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suttonkb

Hello.

Just picked up a 2006 GTI SE 4tec from my neighbor who let it sit for at least 3 or 4 years. Got it for $300. I am a shadetree mechanic and like doing things myself so I figured this could be a fun little project worst case scenario.

I installed a new battery, removed the spark plugs and turned the engine over to make sure it wasn't seized. After I could tell all 3 cylinders were firing is reinstalled the old plugs and hit the starter again. I was surprised that it fired right up. Now to the questions...

1. I noticed that it had a considerable amount of cruddy water inside the hull. When I pulled the plugs, nothing drained out, even after tilting the trailer back. I figure there is / was some gunk clogging the secondary "marble style" plugs. Could this be the case or is there another way that water is evacuated from the hull? I went ahead and hand pumped out all the water just in case.

2. Besides plugs, new gas, oil / filter change.. what else would you check before taking the ski to the water?

3. The gel coat is pretty terrible but I hope can be brought back to life. If it can't I don't mind painting the ski another color but I'd rather not if I can avoid it. I hate the yellow / blue combo so I'll probably paint the hood plastic another color and I've got a grey / black seat cover on the way. My question here is, can this blue be brought back to life with some buffing? Can anyone give pointers if the answer is yes?

Here is the picture when I picked it up. The neighbor also sold me his 97' GTX for $300 but it has been sitting much longer and will need a lot more attention.

IMG_20190715_203643.jpg

IMG_20190715_203703.jpg

Engine has closed loop cooling which uses anti-freeze coolant to cool the engine like a car radiator. I would change it or at least make sure the reservoir is full. To prevent sticking, the throttle body needs to be lubricated with some BRP XP-S lube. There is a lube port under the seat in front. Use the XP-S lube to spray the throttle cable up front and the pivot points in the rear controlling the reverse lever, steering and OPAS paddles. Best bet is to pick up and Owners Manual and follow the maintenance procedures. The ski is gelcoat and not paint so a good rubbing compound formulated for fiberglass applied with an electric buffer should remove the dull oxidation. Then wax.

Engine has closed loop cooling which uses anti-freeze coolant to cool the engine like a car radiator. I would change it or at least make sure the reservoir is full. To prevent sticking, the throttle body needs to be lubricated with some BRP XP-S lube. There is a lube port under the seat in front. Use the XP-S lube to spray the throttle cable up front and the pivot points in the rear controlling the reverse lever, steering and OPAS paddles. Best bet is to pick up and Owners Manual and follow the maintenance procedures. The ski is gelcoat and not paint so a good rubbing compound formulated for fiberglass applied with an electric buffer should remove the dull oxidation. Then wax.
thank you for your insight. i'll definitely look into what you said!

1. Yes, the drain plugs have a check valve system and very small holes that will easily clog. Reach back there and pull them out and then unscrew the halves and clean them.
2. Just those and make sure the coolant level is good. I'd run it on the hose for a couple minutes first and look for leaks and make sure it revs up and idles okay.
3. The gel coat will clean up with sanding and buffing. Could also try costacoat which works pretty well for a year or so and then do it again.

You will want to check/replace the hose clamps on your exhaust system. The boat will fill with water very quickly if one of those hoses pops off.

I second what JLK62 says. Had one of the exhaust hose clamps break and it sunk my 2006 GTI. I double clamped all hoses I could with good stainless steel clamps and check them every spring before launching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back