2005 Sportster LE DI no electrical power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspectorsmith

So i just got this 2005 Sportster le di, i new it had an electrical problem just wasnt sure exactly what it was. I dont have much info on what happened, owner said they were cruising around the lake everything was good as they got back to the dock it just died. They didnt want to fool with it, so i got it for what i think was a good deal, i may be wrong.

Thought is was going to be a simple fuse, but maybe not. opened up the electrical box over the pump it had about 1/2 inch of water in it. So i took it apart and cleaned and greased everything. Checked fuse at battery, main fuse, and all the fuses in the control box, they are all look good. I have power to the bilge fan and the bow light but nothing else works. No beeps from the key, no gauges, does not start.

I do have power from the battery to the control box and at the voltage reg, and the grounds look to be tight.

Need some help, is there a fuse i missed. Hope its not the control box.

any help

Well.... if the MPEM got wet... and shorted... it may be there. Unfortunately. Did you check the fuses in the helm too?

I looked for fuses there but can't find any, the only thing up there is the wires to the gauges and connectors. Probably should have done this first, but I tested the battery last night and it was dead. So I put it on slow charge. And will see what happens this evening.

Ok so i should have tested the battery first, it was only 5.5 v. So i picked up a new one this morning and installed it. I no longer believe it to be an electrical issue. All electrical is working with the new battery.

MY problem now is when you put the key on, you get the 2 beeps, fuel pump pressurizes. Push the start button and the starter hits but does not turn over.

Is there a way to manually turn the 2stroke over
Can the top end be rebuilt while still in the boat
I looked through the pump, the wear ring looks ok, but i could see some scuffing on one side and the impeller looks to be in the scuff. is it possible the it is wedged.

Thanks for the help

I'm going to say that the solenoid is probably bad. But if you get a big screwdriver... just jump the terminals on the solenoid, and it will kick the starter. There's going to be some sparks, so run the bilge fan first.

You might want to try pulling the plugs and give another shot at turning it over. If there's fluid in the cylinders you might be hydrolocked. Could be gas from a bad needle and seat in the carb, could be oil from a bad crank seal or even water since you said you had water in the mpem. Maybe the whole bilge was under water at some point. Word of advice. Put a rag over the plug holes unless you want your ass chewed by your wife because she has oil all over her new new car.

being new to jet boats and jet skies, it seams i have made a bit of a rookie mistake.
new battery solved all electrical issues.
and for the not turning over, well i just puled the pump and its frozzup. I had previously looked at it from under the boat but guess i didnt know what i was looking at. I saw a scuff mark but thought it was ok. pulled the pump and the impeller is gouged into the side of wear ring.
So about to order a rebuild kit.
On different parts websites i see a yellow wear ring and a black one is there a difference?
The impeller that is in the pump now has some small dings in the sharp edge and some odd looking wear about a 1/4 inch from the outside edge. Should i replace it? and is there a big enough difference between the oem impeller for$90 and the aftermarket one that is$299?

Just wanted to share some pic and maybe get some thoughts from the crowd. I bout this 2005 sportster a few weeks ago. got it for a good deal because the owner did not want to fool with it. The pump was seized up, so i took it apart cleaned everything rebuilt it all new part except for the housing. Put it in the water yesterday, boat ran great, exceeded my expectations. Everyone says the boat will do 50-55, i dont now how accurate the speedometer is but it wood hit 60 pretty easy. ran the boat for about hour and half and called it quits for the day. Then comes today, boat is all set test ride and all, load the family up. Make a fue little runs i hear some squeaks, worries me a bit. so then kids want to tub, we fix that up and were going along about i notice it was getting hard to keep the speed steady then lost all thrust and can smell some burnt oil. limp back load it on trailer head home. pulled the pump off oil is burnt to a solid and there was water in it but oil wasnt milky. The thrust bearing was completely gone. The plastic housing is melted around the metal center and it melted a hole through the cone.

the rust color is the one that was frozen first, i rebuilt that and the black one is what just happened.
Any ideas.

One thing i know i did wrong was i didnt do a pressure test.
Is it possible i put to much oil in the pump, or maybe not enough. i used the seadoo oil, the little bottle it would not take the hole bottle.
Would an impeller that was out of balance cause this, it does have some dings on the cutting edge.
9246.jpegView attachment IMG_20180722_195650620.jpgView attachment IMG_20180722_171336181.jpg

I was pitalling around today with the boat and i noticed there is some play in the drive shaft. Is that ok or does the drive line need to be rebuilt. I see SBT has a rebuild kit.

The driveshaft "Floats" in the system. The engine and pump are the anchors.

Looking at your pic, it looks like the bearing seized up, and got VERY hot. Also... that doesn't look like oil... that looks like grease. (?) The proper oil for that pump would have been 75/90 synthetic gear oil.

Ok thanks for the info on the drive shaft. It was the proper Sea-Doo synthetic pump oil, I'm not exactly sure but I think when the pump got hot it melted the inside part of the cone, the thrust bearing material ground to nothing, all mixed together, and when it cooled it is rock hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back