2005 Sportster LE DI Frozen motor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadooguy5180

Hi everyone.
I am new to the forum. Today I pickup up a 2005 Seadoo Sportster. The story is the engine (951 DI) was running last season and was not winterized properly and now it is frozen up. He told me that he took the spark plugs out and it still would not turn over so he decided to just scrap it. I picked it up for $2500 with the goal to get it running over the next two weeks for a family lake trip. All in all the boat is in good shape just needs the engine work. I am hoping to save the engine but If I cant get it freed up easily, I will just replace it with an SBT motor.
I am familiar with the 951 from my 98 and 99 gtx skis but I have never had one freeze up like this. Also, I have never worked in a Sportster hull so I could use some tips and tricks to save the back a bit. Here are my questions:
1. Any tips for troubleshooting or freeing up the motor?
2. Any tips on working in and on this boat such as recommended tools or the best way to work on the engine without standing on your head? LOL
3. the Previous owner pulled the pump so I am thinking about swapping out the impeller for a performance upgrade. Any suggestions?

I really appreciate any advice you can give. Its been a while since I have been under the seat on these things

THanks again

Thanks for the info. This weekend, I pulled the motor....(Oh boy...) looks like it has been submerged in water at some point and for some time. When we disconnected it, water drained from the oil lines in the crank case. I have not pulled it completely apart yet, but I did remove the line from the top of the compressor. The compressor is shot. The cylinder is completely rusted . I am going to pull the motor apart over the next few weeks but I don't trust any of the ancillary parts either. There is rust and corrosion on everything on the lower part of the motor. I have attached some pics.

I am thinking its new or used motor for sure. defiantly a little worse off than I was led to believe LOL
Attached Files

Attachments

• motor back.jpg
    motor back.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Motor front.jpg
    Motor front.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Popps! Will do!
Thanks again for the tip. Did it just like you said and it worked great.
Looks like I will also be needing to rebuild the jet pump. Any thoughts on aftermarket props for more better performance? Since I have to rebuild this thing from the ground up, I am thinking lets help it where we can :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back