2005 Sportster LE DI drowned engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

danduta

I am quite sure I am not the only idiot who managed to do this but would appreciate some advice. I stored my boat over the winter with the plugs in. Rain water filled the entire bilge more or less. Drained it, took plugs out waited for things to dry and managed to crank engine. Water geyser shot out of the plug holes for a while. I put in some fogging oil and cranked some more. Dried out the electrical box ( some rust noted). Now the starter will not engage. I am in neutral. The fuel pump comes on but not turning over. I did not try to turn motor by hand.
I wonder if starter solenoid could be damaged....I should be so lucky.
should I short the solenoid to see if starter is OK?
I f..ed this one up good. I foresee some big bills in my future.
I am ready to receive any advice and all deserved abuse.
Thank.

Does the starter turn on but not engage? My starter broke and fell down filling my mag side with water seizing my bendix.... Had to pull the engine but with some wd40 it was back in action in notime (apart from buying a new starter $$$)
The starter is in a closed shell exept where the cog comes out and that is sealed in the mag housing.
Water filled enginecompartment shouldn't be a big deal. It's when you drain the water it get worse, you have to take care of it right away. Wd40 (and alike) are your best friend [emoji28]

Your engine is trashed. Water sitting in the engine rusts the crank bearings and cylinders and if by chance you did get it to turnover and run it will grenade shortly after.

And no, you aren’t the first person to do this and won’t be the last.

Nope starter does not engage at all.
Just get the clicking sound
But it did initialy so I don't think your engine is trashed....depends offcours how long its been sinse you got the water out [emoji848]
As long as you don't get air/drain your crank it wont rust.
Anyway the starter clicks but nothing else. The starter could get toasted with water inside of it. A expensive "maybe" if it isn't the starter thats toast. How long did you run the starter when you geiserd the water out? These starters does get extremly hot of going a long time....
I have found my boat 2 times at the bottom, water up to sparkplugg. No rebuild and runs just fine 3 sesons after the second (...and hopefully last) time. When you get it started its important to run it so it gets up to temp so you really steam out every single drop of water inside

I did bypass the solenoid and the starter will not engage at all. It was been a week since I got the water out. I just have not had the time to work on it.
I will try to get the starter out today.
I am tempted to try to get it going again and take my chances. However if the motor grenades and I put a whole in the block it will be a bigger problem.
Is there any way to inspect the crankcase with a scope without splitting the engine?

I take it there is no way to inspect the crankcase other than splitting it apart
Yes you have to split it to inspect. Pull the pluggs and spray wd40 and the crank the engine by hand to suck the wd40 in
Both times I got my motor running in a hour or two.....donno what a week will cause [emoji848] The idea is to get the motor running as quick as possible after your drain it
Rebuild to be safe or take your chanses....

I thought I would follow up. Got the boat going.
it ran for about 2 hours on the dock without any issues. Motor has not disintegrated yet. However running in limp mode.
I suspect stator may be damaged from water.
Have to hunt this issue now.
what is the best way to check the stator output without the special Seadoo harness

You can back side that plug terminals ,using a paper clip,,,of course,,,check that plug for corrosion,,,use a mirror,,,check both sides,,,(pull the cap off),,,do your resistance tests,,,,check for short to,ground,,,whitewheels has a point,,,I have resurrected many motors that were sunk...check all your connections for corrosion,,,my best friend is PB blaster,,,spray that into your cylinders,,,put the plugs in,,,turn the motor over,,,to spread the fluid if you can,,,,,,or by hand,,,that stuff attacks any rust,,,!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back