2005 Seadoo Wiring Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold Stovall

On the wiring diagram for a 2005 GTX SC I have a question. On the diagram at the CPS sensor and TOPS valve there is a wire that comes off the TOPS valve and the CPS sensor (I think they are pu/gy and gn/or.) They appear to be bridged or connected together somewhere, Does anyone know at what point they are connected? I don't have connectivity from the TOPS valve to the wire at the CPS. I believe there should be voltage on each wire and I don't have it on the gn/or wire to the CPS sensor. I am trying to not have to unravel the wiring harness to find it.
Thanks,

It's the Camshaft Position Sensor(CAPS) at the rear of the head, not the Crankshaft Position Sensor(CPS). Yes, they are bridged and yes there should be 12v there. Just follow the ORANGE wire with a green tracer from the CAPS and you'll find it close to the TOPS valve. Or just check the 4 plug purple connecter by the MPEM which are all 12v positives.

Thanks. You're right it's the camshaft sensor. To find the bridge do I start unraveling the black cloth tape? I hate to do that unless I could pinpoint exactly where that bridge point is. Do you know as close as possible where that might be? That tape is wrapped so tight I don't see how it could have come apart but it must have. Thanks for your help.

I've never seen one have an issue with the bridge. Before unwrapping I'd check for continuity first at the 4 connector purple plug and at the CAPS #3 wire. I'd be very surprised if it had a break in it. I'd suspect another issue before that.

Are you talking about the 4 connector plug on the front of the air intake manifold? How do I determine where each wire goes? Is it on the drawing? Is that plug on the diagram just right of the MPEM that is labeled 1-4?
Thanks

Yes, the connector comes directly from the MPEM and will have 4 purple wires. The one to test is the one with the gray tracer(PU/GY) and check continuity to the CAPS orange/green wire and also the TOPS purple/gray.

I have continuity from the pu/gy wire at the 4 wire connector (male pins) to the pu/gy wire at the TOPS valve. I have no continuity from the pu/gy wire at the 4 wire connector (male pins) to the or/gn wire at the CAPS connector. Should I stick a pin through the or/gn wire at the CAPS connector to see if I have continuity to that point but not at the connector in case it is bad? I had the technician at the dealer say he thought there might be some diodes in the wiring. It's hard to believe a wire broke or a connection came apart in the harness as tight as they are wrapped but something has happened somewhere. I do have voltage on pin no. 2 at the CAPS connector when the DESS is attached which I think is normal but there is nothing on pin3.
Thanks so much for your assistance

I don't think there are any diodes in the wiring harness but you should check resistance both ways by switching your red and black leads on your ohm meter to make sure. I never like pricking wires to test but lots of people do it. It only takes a couple minutes to take the connector apart, quite simple and detailed in the manual for most connectors.

It sounds like you are going to have to start unwrapping the tape to find the connection. I took a quick look at a wiring harness and you're right it is taped really tightly but should unwrap fairly easily. Just get some black cloth tape and redo it just like they did it after you fix it.

I also try to avoid stabbing wires to test them. Use a paper clip to back stab the plug, this will keep your wires safe and allow you to test things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found where the wires are bridged. After removing the harness tape I could see the bridge for the three wires. It looked like the rubber coating on the connector had dried out and was kind of brittle. The wires had broken lose at that point. Spliced wires back together and my "check engine light" was gone when I cranked it up. Will have to put it in the water to really test it out. Thanks guys for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back