2005 Seadoo will start on trailer but not on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Juls651

I am currently having an issue with my seadoo GTX-4tech wake version.

It will start without any issues on my trailer but the moment it hits the water, it will start fine and run fine. the moment I will turn off the ski and try to turn it back on, it will hesitate and eventually it will start again.

I have gone through the process of elimination, I have replaced the spark plugs, Coils, replace battery, ensure that the injectors are clean, change the oil ( no sure if that matters) clean the throttle body and I even went into checking the propeller assembly, I have also replaced the Solenoid with the OEM version as well. in addition, I have also open the gas tank as someone suggested that it could be the fuel pump to see if sucking air will give me any idea why is this jet ski does not start normally.

Does anyone here any Idea what else im missing or what could be wrong with my ski?

Thank you all for the help.

Here's a video on how it sounds when in the water...

Studio Project - Kapwing

Last edited:
In the Candoo manual there is a reset procedure for the Throttle Position Sensor.
You may want to try having it reset. I am not certain this is you problem.

If you open the throttle slightly when you crank the engine after it is in the water, does it start?

Another suggestion is look for a vacuum leak.

In the Candoo manual there is a reset procedure for the Throttle Position Sensor.
You may want to try having it reset. I am not certain this is you problem.

If you open the throttle slightly when you crank the engine after it is in the water, does it start?

Another suggestion is look for a vacuum leak.
Thanks for the help...

So I took the throttle body off the ski and I clean the position sensor. I am not sure if you were able to view the link I post it on the forum, I had it in the water today and the only way the ski will start is by holding the gas handle, by pressing just the start button, it will not start and it will hesitate.

this does not happen when I put the ski on the trailer, the moment is off the water, it will start right away... freaking odd. I also try to start it without being on the ski ( thinking that my weight might be a factor ) and still did the same. for some reason, it won't start right away on water.

The Throttle position sensor is a pretty good suggestion , or the throttle itself , any time you open the throttle the engine should not start as it is supposed to kill the injectors for safety reasons (only should start at idle position). Another thing is if it's intercooled maybe the intercooler is leaking , check the plugs and see if they're wet after being in the water or pull the hose at the throttle body and look for water.

Last edited:
Throttle position sensors can be damaged if carburator cleaner enters them. You may want to have it checked.

The Throttle position sensor is a pretty good suggestion , or the throttle itself , any time you open the throttle the engine should not start as it is supposed to kill the injectors for safety reasons (only should start at idle position). Another thing is if it's intercooled maybe the intercooler is leaking , check the plugs and see if they're wet after being in the water or pull the hose at the throttle body and look for water.

so maybe getting a new throttle position sensor ? I have no done this as of yet, I took it out today and clean it up I just didn't think it will cause the ski from turning on water.

so maybe getting a new throttle position sensor ? I have no done this as of yet, I took it out today and clean it up I just didn't think it will cause the ski from turning on water.

I missed something here , are you saying the ski does not start on the water ? Or it does not turn over on the water , be clear about what it is doing.

I missed something here , are you saying the ski does not start on the water ? Or it does not turn over on the water , be clear about what it is doing.
Sorry for the confusion….

It will start normally on the trailer but when i put it in the water, it will hesitate.. on my initial post, i attached a video of what is doing if that makes more sense

I would suspect your idle control valve. It is a servo driven opening on the side of the throttle body. When the throttle is closed, air is managed by this device. . My guess is yours is frozen and it allows a small amount of air that is able to support idle with no water resistance on the trailer.

What is your exact idle rpm both in and out of the water? Is it steady or does it surge a little?

you may need to calibrate the TPS to your machine if you replace it as noted earlier

does it crank at an appropriate speed in the water--only difference I see between in water and on trailer is the slight additional load of the water when cranking--perhaps the battery is low enough not to spin it fast enough when in water?

I am currently having an issue with my seadoo GTX-4tech wake version.

It will start without any issues on my trailer but the moment it hits the water, it will start fine and run fine. the moment I will turn off the ski and try to turn it back on, it will hesitate and eventually it will start again.

I have gone through the process of elimination, I have replaced the spark plugs, Coils, replace battery, ensure that the injectors are clean, change the oil ( no sure if that matters) clean the throttle body and I even went into checking the propeller assembly, I have also replaced the Solenoid with the OEM version as well. in addition, I have also open the gas tank as someone suggested that it could be the fuel pump to see if sucking air will give me any idea why is this jet ski does not start normally.

Does anyone here any Idea what else im missing or what could be wrong with my ski?

Thank you all for the help.

Here's a video on how it sounds when in the water...

Studio Project - Kapwing

update!!!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations… as it turns out, it was something completely different.. it was the EXHAUST MANIFOLD leaking as it’s broken..i guess the ski was a salt water ski and the previous owner didn’t flush it properly, it corroded the manifold and causing a leak and clugging the lines ( seee images below) I’m case anyone has a similar problem and scratching their heads.. don’t miss to look this up

Attachments

• IMG_9343.jpeg
    IMG_9343.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9346.jpeg
    IMG_9346.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9345.jpeg
    IMG_9345.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9344.jpeg
    IMG_9344.jpeg