2005 Sea Doo GTX - 155 MPEM Issue Part # 278002043

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshall_0

Okay, I have owned a pair of 2005 Sea Doo GTX 4-Tec 155's for about 8 years now. I keep them garaged and both PWC's have a little more than 100 hours on each. During the year when I am not using them I keep them on Battery Tender Juniors. (see attached photos) I have the PWC's serviced every spring at my local Sea Doo shop. They have always ran perfect for me and I have really tried to take good care of them. They have never even been jump started before, as I have seen in forums and posts that it can damage the MPEM when doing this.

This last trip I noticed that the fuel gauges where not working right in both of Sea Doos!
When the Sea Doo key is connected to the post I get a reading across the front LCD panel stating "Sensor Error" or something similar. I figured that it was a bad fuel sending unit as they both seemed to run fine, even though the fuel gauge was not working right.

After my trip I brought back my Sea Doos to the local shop where I get them serviced and asked them to fix the problem. I figured it was an easy fix. Buy new sending units and install, problem solved. A week later I received a call from my local repair shop. They advised me that the fuel gauge display issue was because the MPEM's were bad.
They also advised my that they could not fix the issue as this part (MPEM Part # 278002043) is no longer made for my Sea Doo and is not available.

This really blows my mind!

Let me get this straight.

A major company like Sea Doo that has 100 of thousands of these PWC's around the world stops making a vital electronic part that they can make good money on, in the repair market. Not only that, from what I can tell, there is no after market solution. The only solution I see is to buy a used MPEM for $950 each, which really has no warranty on it. This just seems plain crazy to me. :)

I have a few questions.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Could these battery tenders have cause the issue?
Has anyone came up with a workaround or fix?
From what I have read it seems to be fairly common for Sea Doos built from 2002 to 2007.

I am really surprised that there is not a aftermarket company making these MPEM's. After all doesnt MPEM stand for (Multi Purpose Electronic Module).

At this point someone needs to reverse engineer these MPEM's and sell them aftermarket. If I had the know how, I would take on this project!

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I’m not sure why but SeaDoo service manuals are very emphatic about not charging the battery when it is in the ski. They want it out and disconnected before any outside electrical source is used. No jumping or trickle charging . So yes I would say your tenders could have been the problem.

WOW, I thought that I would get more feedback about these questions I have and this issue. Maybe my issue is not that common...

There is a company that sells used MPEM or can possible repair the MPEM. Just google seadoo MPEM repair. I have the same issue with an 05 RXP. I have found a new one for $600 but unwilling to drop the $ for a fuel gauge issue only. Yes I have been told to always unhook battery when trickle charging and have done so but still have that issue. I have not used this company so I am not sure about the service.

$573 for a new one here Can-Am 278002043 - Best Price on Can-Am MODULE PROGRAM.*PROGRAM. MODULE Parts at BikeBandit.com

FYI, I called BikeBandit.com and they do not have that part in stock and can not get it. Even though there site says they have it. The guy on the phone says they keep NO parts in stock, they order directly from the manufacture, once an order is placed.

I just purchased a working MPEM for a 04-05 GTX 155 off of Ebay. Unfortunately, the problem I was trying to fix is likely the ECU as the new MPEM did not fix the issue. If you want, I could ship it up to you and see if it is actually the MPEM before you start dropping big coin on this problem. IF it works, we could work out payment. I am likely not going to hold on to this GTX too long as my wife wants something newer with handlebar reverse (never let your wife ride her friends new Yamaha) so I don't need a parts stockpile.

I have a .75 amp and a 1 amp trickle charger I have used on my 06 RXP and 07 RXT for 4 years straight without issue. I think the bigger problem with the high amperage charging and jumping.

I still have that part laying on my workbench if you need one. Compatible part, has a few fuses already in it and the fuse cover tabs are broken.

Guess I should turn my notifications on, sorry I missed your post. I will hit you up later tonight.

Hi all, new member here. I too was faced with this "fuel gage issue" on my 2005 GTX Supercharged. I tried a used MPEM from Ebay ($500) with free returns but had the same problem so I decided to try a different route. I ordered a brand new sending unit for the fuel tank, an aftermarket fuel gage and a 40 ohm inline resister.

As you may know, Seadoo uses a sender that reads "0" ohms full and "90" ohms empty, so finding a compatible fuel gage is very difficult (expensive) with few choices. There a numerous fuel gages that use the standard GM type sensor which is "0" ohms empty and "90" ohms full in the $20-$30 dollar range.

So I ordered all my parts and was able to modify the fuel sending units "float arm" to work in reverse of factory "90-0" ohm scale. The fuel gage is wired into the wiring harness in the steering column for "power" when dess key is engaged, neutral to battery (gage and sender) and sender signal from tank sensor.

I installed a 40 ohm inline resister at the mpem wire harness from the sender (pink/pink-black) so that the mpem "see's fuel in the tank" which the 40 ohms on mine displays "full tank" on the digital display with no warning lights or beeps! The 2" aftermarket fuel gage works perfectly and is mounted under the steering column. Pictures are attached. Total cost of the modification about $135 with wiring and about 2-3 hours.

No mpem issues, happy wife and kids, and no need for a used mpem with no warranty!

Attachments

• IMG_20210517_191107709.jpg
    IMG_20210517_191107709.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210602_104244838.jpg
    IMG_20210602_104244838.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20210602_104300290.jpg
    IMG_20210602_104300290.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 58
I tried the above with just the resistor and still got the error. So probably only correctable when its the sensor and not MPEM

I tried the above with just the resistor and still got the error. So probably only correctable when its the sensor and not MPEM
What error are you getting? The sensor was not my issue as the new sensor I purchased still gave inaccurate fuel level readings. I used the resistor so that the mpem never senses "low fuel" with audible beeps. The factory fuel gage will never change its fuel level reading as it was bypassed with the inline sensor attached to the mpem fuel level sensor input wires. My mpem was the issue, this solution was much more affordable and repairable in the future. Can you provide more details on your mpem issues??

Glenn

Hi all, new member here. I too was faced with this "fuel gage issue" on my 2005 GTX Supercharged. I tried a used MPEM from Ebay ($500) with free returns but had the same problem so I decided to try a different route. I ordered a brand new sending unit for the fuel tank, an aftermarket fuel gage and a 40 ohm inline resister.

As you may know, Seadoo uses a sender that reads "0" ohms full and "90" ohms empty, so finding a compatible fuel gage is very difficult (expensive) with few choices. There a numerous fuel gages that use the standard GM type sensor which is "0" ohms empty and "90" ohms full in the $20-$30 dollar range.

So I ordered all my parts and was able to modify the fuel sending units "float arm" to work in reverse of factory "90-0" ohm scale. The fuel gage is wired into the wiring harness in the steering column for "power" when dess key is engaged, neutral to battery (gage and sender) and sender signal from tank sensor.

I installed a 40 ohm inline resister at the mpem wire harness from the sender (pink/pink-black) so that the mpem "see's fuel in the tank" which the 40 ohms on mine displays "full tank" on the digital display with no warning lights or beeps! The 2" aftermarket fuel gage works perfectly and is mounted under the steering column. Pictures are attached. Total cost of the modification about $135 with wiring and about 2-3 hours.

No mpem issues, happy wife and kids, and no need for a used mpem with no warranty!
I know what project I am doing this winter on my 2005 RXP!!! THANKS Been battling this issue for 2 years.

I get the sensor message and then low fuel with the annoying beeps. I tried putting the resistor in between the pink and the pink and black lines and still got the message. I didn't cut the wires though, I just unplugged at the fuel pump! Im down to try other ideas though because id rather not pay for a 1300 MPEM from a shop! The code is P0462 though.

I even tried to make sure the power and ground were still getting to the pump!

Last edited:
Newbie here with the same “no fuel reading” on both of my 2005 GTI’s after having both on trickle chargers over the winter (and admittedly not disconnecting them from the vehicles - ugh!). My question would be if the MPEM is toast, you shouldn’t be able to start the vehicle, correct?

Just from what I am learning about them, I do not think that is the case. I think individual things inside start breaking and then you have to replace the whole thing. But that is just from what I know others might chime in. Download the manual ad test both sensors to be sure though mine tested out fine but gonna try a new MPEM to see what it does!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back