2005 GTX not running well after sandbar incident

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MPSmith1

I ran my GTX over a sandbar hidden under the water surface. Now it’s running poorly. I can only get 35mph at 7,500rpm and I’m afraid to push it any harder. I flushed out the cooling system, to no avail. It seems to be rattling a bit as well.

Is spark plugs the next thing to change? TIA for the help!

Pulled off the pump and found a little debris. Put it back in the water and sadly, still the same issue. We now believe it has a bad bearing and are replacing the wear ring and impeller. Hoping parts arrive this weekend. Stay tuned!

No need to replace the prop if it is okay,,,the internal bearings in the pump will hardly be affected,,,sounds like too much wear ring clearance since you are reving but not going anywhere.,,can you post a pic of the prop?

We cleared all the debris and reinstalled the impeller. It rattled badly. At 30mph it was at 3,500 rpm.

Attachments

• 20220806_102425.jpg
    20220806_102425.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220806_102428.jpg
    20220806_102428.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 15
The wear ring is fairly badly scored and the impeller isn't spinning freely. Then when I removed the cone, I discovered this... I don't know how to mount it on a vise to remove the impeller.

Attachments

• 20220813_101939.jpg
    20220813_101939.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
that prop actually looks great to be honest,,,so the wear ring must be gouged,,,hard to see,,,but easier to see after you remove the prop,,,sounds like messy bearings?

You have to put the allen wrench in the vice and the pump sits on top of the allen wrench. Then use an impeller tool to remove the impeller. If you're bearings aren't smooth, they need replaced.

I got the wear ring out, which was badly gouged. Put in a new one and a new impeller (just for the hell of it). The impeller spins freely with no noise or rattle. But when I put it all back to together and briefly start it out of the water, I can hear a rattle. I haven't put it back in the water again.

Do you think I have a bad bearing?

Some rattle is expected.
Here's an idea of what a bad bearing sounds like out of the water:
Thank you.... Mine is MUCH smoother than that when I spun it by hand. Maybe I should just put it in the water this weekend and see what happens.

All Seadoo's rattle out of the water.

Like other's have mentioned. Your wear ring is toast, which will introduce a ton of cavitation. Your cone and bearing look fine to me. Generally they fail from water intrusion, but yours has no sign of this. Repack with grease and put it back together. Your impeller looks to be in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back