2004 sportster 4 tec engine water leaking into engine when off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigmantony

2004 sportster 4 tec engine water leaking into engine when engine off and sitting for hours. engine is full of water none in engine compartment. check plugs and cylinders full of water. I think water coming in from engine water jacket. I know there's something to stop water from entering the engine.

You have a closed loop system. So, if you are getting water into the cylinders then you should be losing coolant from the coolant tank. Where is the level on the tank?

The water you ride on ONLY goes through the exhaust and pump area. If you are not losing coolant, then my guess would be a damaged exhaust manifold allowing water to rest on top of the motor. As soon as you crank it, it allows water to enter the cylinders.

If you do not crank it, does water still enter the cylinders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. I just went though the changing oil and boil out thing. Took it out ran fine. left in lake over night. water in cylinders. no coolant loss.

Intercooler could be correct. Do you have a supercharged engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no super charge no coolant loss no water in engine compartment boat must sit in water for @ lease 6 or more hours. You know because when you try to crank you can't water is then in cylinders. PLEASE NOTE WHEN I SAY WATER I MEAN LAKE WATER NOT COOLANT. Thanks

Also once you start it it run until you turn it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey if I pull the exhaust heat exchanger and then pressure raise the water coolant side by connecting a water hose one side and cap the other. I should see the water leaking into the exhaust side of the heat exchanger. right?

Hey if I pull the exhaust heat exchanger and then pressure raise the water coolant side by connecting a water hose one side and cap the other. I should see the water leaking into the exhaust side of the heat exchanger. right?

good one maybe a crack in the exhaust inner wall, allowing water into the engine. i would have thought just sitting in the water it wouldnt have enough pressure to push into the engine.

I have the same problem. Runs great. Dock it . Few hours later or sometimes the next day try to start it and won't turn over. Remove spark plugs and cylinders filled with lake water. Take it for boil out and oil change. Runs great again. Can go days, month or whole season without problem and then happens again. Seems to have happened since I had the ride plate replaced. Maybe just a coincidence. I am not a mechanic. I had the exhaust system checked and no cracks or leaks were found. I dock the boat nose to shore. Could water be forced into the exhaust and in through exhaust valves as a result of big waves from passing boats? Maybe sounds like a stretch but I have taken it to numerous sea doo shops an no one has an answer. Getting quite expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back