2004 seadoo sportster Le

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeknows

Hello,

I am a newbie to this form and would greatly appreciate some advice, information, tips, etc.
My neighbour of 30 years is selling a 2004 sportster Le. He is a good honest person and let me know that the compression is down 10% in the motor. He has had the boat for 5 years and maintans his equipment with pride. The only engine maintenance that has been required was a manifold gasket as it was leaking.
Is this drop in compression a sign that the motor is already going or gone. I know there's always some loss as the machine is 8 years old? I know down the road I will have to do the top end but are these good reliable machines or is it a lemon year and going to be In the shop all he time. It has been reliable for my neighbour.

Any input about this machine year and what to look for would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Before we put a percentage on the compression... why dont you just post up a a number for us.

If there is an actual drop in compression... it can be from a bunch of things. But... realistically... a Rotax 951 engine is only good for about 200 Hrs.

So... the next question would be... how much time is on it?

I am new here so I was not given a number just a percentage so I will go and find out the facts exact numbers for hours and compression and post it ASAP. I don't remember an hour meter? Is there one?
Thank you.

Hi,
The only additional information that I received is that the compression is 105 in each cylinder and the was the FI kit installed. I just want to know if these machines are reliable or lemons and what will it cost to do a proper rebuild if and when needed. I really know nothing about seadoo boats other than they are fantastic machines--if they don't have problems.
Actual time on motor is not known. No hour meter. Can a seadoo technician complete a diagnostic with their computers and download the usage hours?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a really low compression value for a 951. My 04 Le compression is around 140-145 and yes the overall run time and diagnostics can be downloaded by a dealer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2.

HI,
Thanks for the reply!
Does anyone know for certain what the compression should be at? At what psi would you do a rebuild?

What is a rebuild worth and what else would you replace at the same time.

I have always heard 135-150 with injectors removed and holes blocked. Injectors on will lower it substantially from my experience

I wonder if the compression was done correctly as the seller did it.

I guess my best bet is to have the seller agree to bring it to a shop of my choice to check it out at my cost after we have agreed upon a price.

I would still like to know what a top end rebuild is worth and whatelse should be done while you are in there?

Thanks

The first thing to do before a rebuild is to locate the reason why the motor failed in the first place, so it doesn't happen all over again. If it was just from wear and tear, a top-end rebuild is pretty straightforward. Bore out the cylinders...install new pistons, rings, gaskets, clips and hardware. I don't know of anything specifically that needs to be addressed outside of that. Assuming no other issues, I know my mechanic charges $1000-1200 for a clean top-end rebuild. Of course, he is an SD dealership mechanic making $ on the side. I could ask him what the dealership would charge but my guess would be about $1800.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back