2004 Sea doo speedster 200 trim tabs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

engq307

Made a set of trim tabs for my speedster. Worked perfect. Just what I needed. It’s a easy fix to the porpusing. A lot smoother ride even in choppy water and even better doughnuts.

I used 1/8” diamond plate aluminum. Cut it 4” x 6”. Bolted it to back of ride plates. Smooth side down. Used straight edge coming off bottom of boat to hit the last 3/4” of each tab so you know they are both set the same. Recessed my bolts on the bottom of the ride plate.

IMG_1943.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 87
Very interesting!! So how much is actually extending past the ride plate, and if I'm seeing it right, you put about a 45 degree downward deflection? What type/size bolts did you use since you countersunk them?

Very interesting!! So how much is actually extending past the ride plate, and if I'm seeing it right, you put about a 45 degree downward deflection? What type/size bolts did you use since you countersunk them?

2” coming off the ride plate. metric bolts. See pics. With that angle of deflection I could have made them a little longer with less deflection I think but they work good as they are for now. Image1560971122.740685.jpgImage1560971139.071147.jpg

Look good. Also, look very sharp. Plans to grind them down a little to round the edges? We park and do a lot of swimming around ours. like them though.

So, to follow up, a machinist friend of mine made a couple of aluminum trim tabs for me and we installed them this weekend. Based on, and modifying, the OP's original design, we made the tabs from 3/16" aluminum, cut at 6" x 10", with a 10 degree angle break leaving 4" hanging off the ride plates. Mounted with three (3) countersunk allen-head screws and stainless nylon lock nuts.

After one test run, in VERY rough water..... there was NO.... I repeat.... NO porpoising!! I will say, though, I did lose about 5mph top end and when coming off throttle from top speed, she wanted to roll a bit, so I learned quickly to ease off the throttle instead of just cutting power at once. There is also quite a bit more pull/yaw to port when under power. I've got to discuss the engineering with my friend and see if we can make any adjustments to the design that might tune out those two things.

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_160403679.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20190629_160418725.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back