2004 GTX 4Tec General Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

robkat

Okay folks, here is where I need some guidance as a NEW PWC owner. Other than watching Youtube videos, I am trying to learn these ski's the best I can to ensure proper use, cleaning, red-flags, etc. So here is what I have questions about, please feel free to chime in on ANY of the questions I have, and as always, I appreciate the help.

I bought identical 2004 GTX 185's this weekend. One had a full engine rebuild years ago (per prior owners knowledge) and has around 50 hours. The other has 160 hours.

1. Overall, running the ski's in fresh water, lakes, ponds, do I still need to rinse / clean the ski's afterwards including the flush?
2. I think the previous owner used in both salt / fresh water, so I see, what looks to me, as white build up on some parts. Is this concerning and do I scrape it off or replace bolts? It looks like calcium deposits from hard water. See photo. The bolt on right side seems encrusted...
IMG_5203.JPG
3. Running the ski at idle for 5-10 minutes in the water (waiting to load at boat ramp) will give me a "high temp" warning. Is this normal since no water is running through the ski? I have two older receipts from previous owner who had it repaired for over-heating issues. EGT was replaced twice in one year in 2017 I can see from paperwork. I dont seem to see any warning or lights while running them on the water, only at idle.
4. Maintenance comes on during initial starting sometimes then goes away. With the GTX models having ceramic bearings that can self-destruct, ANYTHING that seems off makes me nervous now, so I eventually want to plan to replacing the superchargers with steel bearing models, but until then, anything I should be looking out for?
5. I need to find someone or a place around who can go through them. I am near Ocala / The Villages, Florida. I know dealers always sell you more repairs and maintenance than needed. What do I need to watch out for or pay attention to on these models?

Last edited:
1. Overall, running the ski's in fresh water, lakes, ponds, do I still need to rinse / clean the ski's afterwards including the flush?

Not absolutely necessary, but not a bad idea.

2. I think the previous owner used in both salt / fresh water, so I see, what looks to me, as white build up on some parts. Is this concerning and do I scrape it off or replace bolts? It looks like calcium deposits from hard water. See photo. The bolt on right side seems encrusted...

Ski wasn't rinsed very well and it shows. Ensure everything turns/operates and I'd recommend treating it with Salt Away, but the damage has been done.

3. Running the ski at idle for 5-10 minute (waiting to load at boat ramp) will give me a "high temp" warning. Is this normal since no water is running through the ski? I have two older receipts from previous owner who had it repaired for over-heating issues. EGT was replaced twice in one year in 2017 I can see from paperwork. I dont seem to see any warning or lights while running them on the water.

You're lucky you haven't burnt out the carbon ring/seal. DO NOT run that ski more than 30 seconds out of the water unless you have a flush hose connected. Even then, 2 minutes MAX.

Read your owners manual ASAP!

4. Maintenance comes on during initial starting sometimes then goes away. With the GTX models having ceramic bearings that can self-destruct, ANYTHING that seems off makes me nervous now, so I eventually want to plan to replacing the superchargers with steel bearing models, but until then, anything I should be looking out for?

If you don't have proof of the superchargers being rebuilt in the last 2 years or 200 hours; get them rebuilt ASAP, or you may end up with 2 nice pieces of lawn art.

5. I need to find someone or a place around who can go through them. I am near Ocala / The Villages, Florida. I know dealers always sell you more repairs and maintenance than needed. What do I need to watch out for or pay attention to on these models?

Thanks @xspook
You stated - "the damage has been done" but does that mean it cannot be undone? Should i scrape those bolts clean, or just replace them now? Just wondering about the white spots and if it can be removed or if I need to replace. ugh.

I should have clarified - The ski was idle in the water, waiting to load, so it was running for 5-10 minutes and seemed to throw a temp warning, while in the water. Wasnt sure if that was normal.

Thanks @xspook
You stated - "the damage has been done" but does that mean it cannot be undone? Should i scrape those bolts clean, or just replace them now? Just wondering about the white spots and if it can be removed or if I need to replace. ugh.

You could try it...As long as it works, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I should have clarified - The ski was idle in the water, waiting to load, so it was running for 5-10 minutes and seemed to throw a temp warning, while in the water. Wasnt sure if that was normal.

You should never get a high temp warning in the water. There's a problem somewhere.

I plan to have them gone-through asap. $800 for two ski's to have oil change and flush and sparks seems a bit high for me, but I guess I need to swallow and do it.

Any ideas what to check for overheating? I figure I am tech savvy enough to check coolant first, do a coolant flush myself. Anything else I should look for?

I plan to have them gone-through asap. $800 for two ski's to have oil change and flush and sparks seems a bit high for me, but I guess I need to swallow and do it.

Any ideas what to check for overheating? I figure I am tech savvy enough to check coolant first, do a coolant flush myself. Anything else I should look for?

You can very easily do you own oil and spark plugs.
Here's the best video out there on the oil change process:

Download a free shop manual here:
http://seadoomanuals.net/download/pdf/service/manuals/2004/2004-seadoo-shop-manual.pdf

You need to ask the previous owner when/if he rebuilt those superchargers. If he didn't, they may have ceramic washers which are guaranteed to chip or crack and destroy your supercharger and/or motor. If they were rebuilt, ask him about how many hours he rebuilt them at. The rebuild kits are good for about 200h.

I wouldn't worry about flushing if using in fresh water. I would wash the outside of it if your lake is scummy or has a lot of tannins. They'll stain your hull if not washed off right away. I'd use a good wax, like one with PTFE to make it easier to keep clean. Change your oil/filter and plugs once a year, and you should be good.

I would also install a bilge pump. It's just good to have.

Thanks @IDoSeaDoo - I assume they make Bilge kits to install on these? I'm trying to watch youtube videos and learn enough.

No paperwork on rebuild, it was prior to his ownership, but the ski only has 50 hours on it in total, BUT, no idea if that meant the washer failed, was replaced or what was wrong with it at that time. So I might consider having both superchargers redone with the correct washer, but again, not sure where / how to check.

I know 03's came with metal washers, it was in 04 they moved to ceramic. You can pull the SC and try to scratch the clutch washer with a knife. It should leave a shiny metallic mark. If not, it's ceramic and needs to be replaced. I believe you can replace just the washers, but it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and have the whole thing redone. Kinda pricey ($300) as you must use the OEM parts.

I'm okay doing the SC's over, might as well, especially with them being 2004's. I dont mind the reasonable cost either, my problem seems to be the area of Central Florida I live in. Not many dealers around that are "reasonable" in pricing. I have seen a guy on eBay offering to rebuild them over for the same, roughly $300-350 with metal washers. Might have to just do that to be safe.

Yea, I'd send it off. I never go to dealerships. You will need a rather unique wrench to get that top supercharger screw out. It's a star-head screw. Try a 1/4" wrench if you don't have such a tool (I don't). I replaced that screw with a 10mm equivalent so I can use an ordinary wrench on it. I've rebuilt my SC twice now. It's not very hard.

Question about the Supercharger and rebuild. If the 2003 model came with metal washer, and i was changed in 2004 to the crap, Ceramic ones, why not buy a 2003 replacement and just swap them? Or I guess, if you have to rebuild them every 100 hours or so, it is a moot point, right? Just change the washers.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back