2004 4-tec 185 Charging issue!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkinney239

After around 35 minutes on the water the (12v low) came on the dash. It has a new rectifier (1hr on it). New stator (0hrs on it). I checked the 30amp fuse for the charging system (next to the M.E.P.M) sure enough the fuse melted and melted the fuse holder. I just installed the new fuse holder and new fuse. Battery had 12.50VDC prior to starting, and was still maintaining 12.50VDC at 4,000 rpms. Turned it off and the fuse was already melted. ANY IDEAS?!?!?

Sound like an IBR going bad pulling to much amp or some sort of short inside
exactly what happened to me, That will also cause the rectifier to get extremely hot also if jet ski is from 2009 up check the 3 yellow wires going from rectifier to
the triangular shape plug which can sometimes melt down and wires will fused
together

Have your battery load tested
Sounds like it has high internal resistance
The voltage should increase once engine has started and should be way above 12.5 Volts

Oh no, you have a new rectifier?! Please tell me it's an OEM or better. I bought a chinese rectifier for like $35 on eBay, and after blowing some fuses, getting a high voltage alarm, the damn thing LITERALLY caught FIRE. Had my fuel tank been plastic, I would have been on the news for all the wrong reasons. Return that POS rectifier and shell out the cash for a good OE replacement. In fact, I may have one to sell you. Just bought an 03 GTX SC for parts last night.

Oh no, you have a new rectifier?! Please tell me it's an OEM or better. I bought a chinese rectifier for like $35 on eBay, and after blowing some fuses, getting a high voltage alarm, the damn thing LITERALLY caught FIRE. Had my fuel tank been plastic, I would have been on the news for all the wrong reasons. Return that POS rectifier and shell out the cash for a good OE replacement. In fact, I may have one to sell you. Just bought an 03 GTX SC for parts last night.

Yeah it’s a aftermarket, from jetskiparts.com.
I still have the factory one. I’m going to test the factory one out again now that I have fixed the melted fuse holder. It could’ve just been a bad fuse/ fuse holder this whole time.

What was original problem?
If you bought it from a reputable place, maybe it's not complete junk. But after my experience, I researched these things and got one even better than oem that can handle more power than the magneto can generate. I run a boat with a deep cycle battery and 800w sound system. Usually I run if off the deep cycle only, but now and then I do like to charge it a little

Last edited:
What was original problem?
If you bought it from a reputable place, maybe it's not complete junk. But after my experience, I researched these things and got one even better than oem that can handle more power than the magneto can generate. I run a boat with a deep cycle battery and 800w sound system. Usually I run if off the deep cycle only, but now and then I do like to charge it a little

I’m not sure what the original problem was. Bought it used tool it out maybe 3 times kept getting the 12v low. Replaced the regulator, then slung a valve testing it. I bought it used about a year ago. Do you have a link to the regulator you run?

Installed a new fuse holder and fuse and plugged the old oem voltage reg back into the ski and ran it on the water. Within 1 minute I got a warning (12v hi) then it went away after 5 seconds and never came back on. Got back to the ramp and checked the fuse after about 20 minutes of ridding and the fuse wasn’t burnt or blown. The reg wires weren’t hot at all. I just pulled the aftermarket one off and the yellow wires are all melted at the base by the regulator.

I would return the aftermarket regular if it's cooking the wires. Get a good quality regulator. Even a used oem is probably better than cheap aftermarket. Be careful with voltage hi, that can cause fires

I would return the aftermarket regular if it's cooking the wires. Get a good quality regulator. Even a used oem is probably better than cheap aftermarket. Be careful with voltage hi, that can cause fires

What’s the highest volts you want to see on the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back