2003 Sportster stored 7 years - Sell or fix ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

den458

I have a 2003 Sportster with Wake Tower that was used sparingly until I stored it in a friend's barn about 7 years ago & forgot about. It was used 99% by out-of-state family (tubing). At the time told it still ran fine but fuel gauge not working. Asked now to re-home it, I'm weighing options: put in the shop (restore to normal running order) or sell it. Boat & trailer would clean up nicely if I wanted to sell. I don't need the $$$$, but don't want to give it away, either. Midwest prices (I'm in N. Illinois) for this vintage w/o wake tower start $6K & up. Towers are rarer & command more. When used years ago, I thought it way underpowered, struggling at +200 lbs to get up on wakeboard or slalom, lighter wife was fine with it. Skied behind our 18' Glastron w/4.3 Merc. Now 70, will part with the Glastron, thinking the Sportster would be a fine river cruiser. Wife & I ski behind our 2013 Wake 155, but it’s not as comfortable as a boat. Assuming critters haven't destroyed any wiring. how likely is fresh fuel, fresh battery, tune-up & oil change, maybe carb rebuild to get this Sportster useful again? Am I looking at big bucks at the shop? Or should I sell as-is, & reinvest in a similar, newer, more fuel-efficient design? Was a sharp, head-turner with the Tower. Just throwing this out there, keep vs sell, appreciate any feedback.

IMO, the only way to know is to get an estimate for the work needed to get it running.

Weigh that against what it's worth and go from there.

All boats are expensive now, but it's the off season for you, so that may impact how much you could get if you try to sell it now.

Xspook: I'd be waiting till Spring for sure, if I choose to sell it. I'm leaning towards putting it in the shop for an estimate. Will probably call the shop ahead of time, discuss the stored history, get a non-binding guess if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back