2003 Sportster LE 2 Stroke - 15 amp "main" fuse blowing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bembrey

Hello all, newb both here and to the Sea doo jet boat world. I have a 2003 Sportster LE 2 stroke that ran great for about month after I bought it. started getting water in the engine bay one outing and had it checked out, turned out to be a bad bellow and hose clamp... got those replaced and got back in the water, all was good. Then one day it started... died and no electrical... checked battery, battery switch, fuses in fuse block up on bulkhead behind center seat... nothing wrong. Finally tracked down the 15amp fuse in the rear electrical box and sure enough, it was popped. Replaced fuse, everything worked... took boat out a few times all was good. This weekend, took boat out, run throttle up, got on plane, cruising along, boat died... no electrical. 15 amp fuse popped again... replaced. Boat started, run up throttle, started to plane out, boat died... fuse popped.

I can replace the fuse and the boat will start and run great... idle, no problem... putt around at 2 to 3000 rpms... no problem, throttle up to get on plane, fuse pops... looking for ideas on where the problem might be. Thank you for your time.

Bill @ Eufaula

hmmmm.... no views, no suggestions... would have assumed there would have been someone that's run into this before. I tried searching the site, but didn't find anything that matched this issue.

I'll keep looking, thanx

Picture of the blown fuse? If it's a dead short from vibration or pinching the fuse will be very blown with no metal left and carbon on the inside plastic. If it's just barely overloading it will just melt the connection away.
Sounds like a wire getting pinched, maybe up by the throttle levers.

Interesting, good suggestion. The fuse is "barely overloading" as you describe it. Just a tiny gap at the top of the fuse wire… not very burned or anything.

Remove the Grey Connection #23 on the side of rear Electrical Box. Clean the connector with electrical cleaner. reconnect and give it a try. Mine had a corroded pin on the lower row of pins causing a intermittant open and blowing the fuse.

Bruce

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back