2003 SeaDoo RX-DI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deklan

I have a 03 RX-DI and I’m having an issue that when we go on the water the screen will flash battery and throw itself into limp mode. Assuming it was the charging system I replaced the alternator and the rectifier. Did not work. My next guess is the ECM is draining the battery and putting it into limp mode because of low voltage. Hooked up to the hose on a battery charger you can rev the ski all day long but take the charger off and it goes into limp. Should I look into and ECM or is there any other options of what it could be

Are you sure the battery is good? There is a procedure for testing rectifier voltage in the service manual. Did you try that? It sounds like a bad battery or rectifier. DI's are very sensitive to needing correct voltage.

Just put a volt meter on the battery and check at rest, at cranking (should never drop below 12V) and at 4,500 rom (should be 13.5-14V).

There is an extensive test in the manual of how to check current draw on the DI. It involves unplugging the fuse for the charging system and measuring amp draw. How is your charging system fuse? I'd check the current draw as it might be your system is just not putting out enough or it isn't getting to the battery at present. I'm a firm believer on these fuel injected skis... don't throw parts at them... find out exactly what is happening if you can.

I'm having a ball with a RFI right now. I got at least 16 hours in it. I swapped every damn part (I have lots of spares) the ski laughed at all of them. :D :D I'm gonna find that freakin wire sooner or later. LOL Good Luck with yours !!

There is an extensive test in the manual of how to check current draw on the DI. It involves unplugging the fuse for the charging system and measuring amp draw. How is your charging system fuse? I'd check the current draw as it might be your system is just not putting out enough or it isn't getting to the battery at present. I'm a firm believer on these fuel injected skis... don't throw parts at them... find out exactly what is happening if you can.

I'm having a ball with a RFI right now. I got at least 16 hours in it. I swapped every damn part (I have lots of spares) the ski laughed at all of them. :D :D I'm gonna find that freakin wire sooner or later. LOL Good Luck with yours !!
Do you by chance have the manual or a link to one? I did some searching and didn’t see one

Are you sure the battery is good? There is a procedure for testing rectifier voltage in the service manual. Did you try that? It sounds like a bad battery or rectifier. DI's are very sensitive to needing correct voltage.
Both the battery and the rectifier are brand new

I should rephrase, the service manual I found shows “no static test available”

Site for the manuals. Seadoo Manuals

Yes your issue is beyond a static test you need to do run test and amp draw to figure out exactly what is going on. I don't have an ammeter so I don't get down to the nitty gritty. With the DI though sometimes you have to. The ski should not draw down the battery during normal operation.

What I thought was cool about the test was it measured total charging system output and measured amp draw with the engine running. The difference determined how much current was going into the battery for charging. I'm sure not everyone wants to go that deeply. LOL

Site for the manuals. Seadoo Manuals

Yes your issue is beyond a static test you need to do run test and amp draw to figure out exactly what is going on. I don't have an ammeter so I don't get down to the nitty gritty. With the DI though sometimes you have to. The ski should not draw down the battery during normal operation.

What I thought was cool about the test was it measured total charging system output and measured amp draw with the engine running. The difference determined how much current was going into the battery for charging. I'm sure not everyone wants to go that deeply. LOL
They only have the parts catalog for my model. However I did find another catalog with a dynamic test for the rectifier. I’m hoping to test it tomorrow or Saturday. With a new battery and a new stator and new rectifier I’m starting to wonder what the problem really is and I’m getting lost.

I just downloaded the 2003 manual from that site to check. It is the one on top and worked fine for me.

I just downloaded the 2003 manual from that site to check. It is the one on top and worked fine for me.
Oh I got it now. I thought that was just the title I didn’t realize it was a link haha, I’m slow. If all of the voltages turn up to be ok, what else could it possibly be?

I'm not an electrical guy and I haven't done those tests because I don't have an ammeter. All I generally do is what @mikidymac suggests and measure the voltage of the batter after I start the engine. If it goes higher than the battery voltage I call it good. You problem is more involved.

I had a RFI that gave me low voltage with a hot battery and when I opened the computer there was water inside. After I dried it out everything was OK.

Good Luck !!

Oh I got it now. I thought that was just the title I didn’t realize it was a link haha, I’m slow. If all of the voltages turn up to be ok, what else could it possibly be?
Either your battery is not charging correctly or something is drawing it down. Are you running an aftermarket fuel pump? Some of them are known for pulling excessive amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back