2003 Seadoo GTX problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganJW

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum but I recently bought my first PWC, a 2003 Seadoo GTX with only 60hrs on the clock. After having some fun on the lake with it and running it up to ~75hrs over several weekends, I suddenly noticed a loud hissing/whirring sound upon any acceleration. I idled back to the ramp and loaded it up. after some reading, I think it might be bearings or a wear ring. I have some mechanical know-how so I removed the pump from the ski, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at. I'm going to attach a picture of what the pump assembly looks like. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210614_192606.jpg
    20210614_192606.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210614_192656.jpg
    20210614_192656.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 18
I will start by yes, you need a new wear ring for sure.

When you pull the pump cone off, check the condition of the jet pump oil. Once you remove the impeller to replace the wear ring, pull the shaft out and analyze the bearings. Should be smooth. My thought is that you are that far into it, you might as well replace the bearings and know it's done, but they need to be pressed to a specific depth so be careful there.

I will start by yes, you need a new wear ring for sure.

When you pull the pump cone off, check the condition of the jet pump oil. Once you remove the impeller to replace the wear ring, pull the shaft out and analyze the bearings. Should be smooth. My thought is that you are that far into it, you might as well replace the bearings and know it's done, but they need to be pressed to a specific depth so be careful there.
Thanks for the insight; when I pulled off the pump cone, the jet pump oil was a fairly thin oil like substance. I'm thinking of buying a rebuild kit and replacing the bearings and all. I have seen wear rings made of metal online, but this one appears to be make of some kind of polymer. Is there any reason to pick one over the other?

I would not use a metal wear ring, reason being is a plastic one will give more when something goes through the pump rather than damaging the impeller. Maybe that's a myth, maybe not..but it makes sense to me.

You can either go with an OEM wear ring or a Delrin wear ring. Comes down to personal preference on which one, I've read Delrin is better except for in sand, then OEM is better. Someone else may chime in on more pros and cons.

OSDparts is a good source for high quality parts and his shipping speed is excellent also. I wouldn't put anything in a crucial part (such as the pump assembly) with parts from eBay or Amazon unless they're OEM

As long as the oil wasn’t milky with water and your low hours no reason to rebuild the pump. Just a new wear ring and oil is all you need.

I prefer the OEM wear rings but that’s just me.

Yours is a classic old age stock wear ring, they get brittle and blow apart. Remember your ski is almost 20 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back