2003 RX DI fuel pressure issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I am new in the forum and I am trying to figure a mystery on a 2003 RX DI with 70 hrs. I bought it inoperable, and I had to clean the tank with old fuel. I removed and cleaned the tank. I bought a used OEM pump but never tested for fuel pressure. The ski started after cleaning the fuel system and lubricating the cylinders. 10HRS later, it would not start. Doing the fuel test this time, I got nothing, so I decided to change the pump for the HPF-342DI. After installing it, I get no priming pressure (I got a fuel pressure gauge with the layout described on the manual). However, when I crank the ski, the pressure climbs pretty fast to 107, and the ski starts. However, I am concerned about the lack of pressure at priming. I read some posts and they said the pump does not have a valve. Is that correct? Any ideas of what else can it be? Manual says to check the fuel rail, but I do not see any leaks. Can it be the fuel regulator? Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks

Can't help you with the aftermarket pump. But on the OEM, did you try to run it on the bench? I ran a mixture of gasoline/xylene thru mine to clear it out. Also helps to prove if it is functioning at all. When I reassembled my fuel pump last weekend, I initially got zero pressure. Turns out I had pinched the sliding seal on the pump output and pressure was leaking back into the tank. Fixed it and now I get full pressure.

There is a diagnostic flow chart for fuel pressure in the DI service manual. Take a look.

Can't help you with the aftermarket pump. But on the OEM, did you try to run it on the bench? I ran a mixture of gasoline/xylene thru mine to clear it out. Also helps to prove if it is functioning at all. When I reassembled my fuel pump last weekend, I initially got zero pressure. Turns out I had pinched the sliding seal on the pump output and pressure was leaking back into the tank. Fixed it and now I get full pressure.

There is a diagnostic flow chart for fuel pressure in the DI service manual. Take a look.

Hello, thanks for the help. On the OEM I did not check the pressure after I took it out. The pump was running and when it cranked it never reach more than 80 psi on the gauge. The new pump runs fine but I do not get the 27 psi priming pressure. I am going over the steps on the manual, and it seems that can be the fuel rail, or the regulator, or the air injector.

ONE MORE THING! I took it to the lake and when I started running, the "MAINT" light came in several times, and the engine was stalling. I read on another post that it could be the air injector, but those are expensive. After the engine warmed up, it was working fine, but it was rough on idling. So, there is more diagnosis to follow. Any help is appreciated.

I have an 01 RXDI, bought it inoperable, cleaning the bad gas out, did what I had to do to get it running on the water. Fuel pump went bad so I bought the same pump you did. That was last year, now the HPf-342DI is sitting on my workbench in my basement because I was having the same problem you are, no holding pressure etc etc. Aftermarket pumps are garbage for the DI skis, I cannot stress this enough and as you will read throughout the forums. Unfortunately, a brand new pump is quite pricey, $900 give or take but you can get a perfectly working one from many place on the web for about 1/4 the price. Trust me, stop spending time and money trying to get that aftermarket pump working and just buy a used Seadoo one. I actually have 2 not being used now just incase something goes wrong with the working ones now. Also, change the external and internal filters inside the canister...... Good luck!!!

If you have that hard maint light...That on dash running or not its trowing a code for something and from a di owner save yourself the heart ache and buy a candoo. If im remembering correct the fp pressure will not throw a fuel pressure code...Do you hear the pump prime when you connect the dess? Could have a injector issue if your not building pressure as the rail should be seal when off. I find it strange you get 107 when your running because the pump only supply 27psi and the air rail supplys the other 90.

I just sent my injectors of to be serviced myself and you should do this every off season as inj failure will kill a engine.

I highly suspect you issue lies in the slide seal/pump and tank area but this above is possible i suppose but i dont see a inj dump 27psi of fuel

On Hpf-342di Fuel pump IS equipped with a check valve but i just sent one out today that fail but only leaked down 1psi a min to 15psi

I have an 01 RXDI, bought it inoperable, cleaning the bad gas out, did what I had to do to get it running on the water. Fuel pump went bad so I bought the same pump you did. That was last year, now the HPf-342DI is sitting on my workbench in my basement because I was having the same problem you are, no holding pressure etc etc. Aftermarket pumps are garbage for the DI skis, I cannot stress this enough and as you will read throughout the forums. Unfortunately, a brand new pump is quite pricey, $900 give or take but you can get a perfectly working one from many place on the web for about 1/4 the price. Trust me, stop spending time and money trying to get that aftermarket pump working and just buy a used Seadoo one. I actually have 2 not being used now just incase something goes wrong with the working ones now. Also, change the external and internal filters inside the canister...... Good luck!!!
Thank you so much. I am waiting for the fuel pressure clamps to come so I can change the external filter. The internal filters are new!

If you have that hard maint light...That on dash running or not its trowing a code for something and from a di owner save yourself the heart ache and buy a candoo. If im remembering correct the fp pressure will not throw a fuel pressure code...Do you hear the pump prime when you connect the dess? Could have a injector issue if your not building pressure as the rail should be seal when off. I find it strange you get 107 when your running because the pump only supply 27psi and the air rail supplys the other 90.

I just sent my injectors of to be serviced myself and you should do this every off season as inj failure will kill a engine.

I highly suspect you issue lies in the slide seal/pump and tank area but this above is possible i suppose but i dont see a inj dump 27psi of fuel
Thank you Tyman. Here are my answers:

Do you hear the pump prime when you connect the dess?
Yes, the pump makes the priming noise. I just don't get any pressure.

Could have a injector issue if your not building pressure as the rail should be seal when off. I find it strange you get 107 when your running because the pump only supply 27psi and the air rail supplys the other 90.
my gauge only goes to 100 psi. When I crank the ski, the pressure builds pretty fast passing the 100 mark. When I turn off the ski, pressure drops just as fast to "0."

I highly suspect you issue lies in the slide seal/pump and tank area but this above is possible i suppose but i dont see a inj dump 27psi of fuel.

What do you mean by slide/seal pump tank area? Do you mean the seal that goes from the pump to the black plastic upper side? Thanks again for your help. Also, where can I get a decently priced CANDOO?

As for the seal...your correct its the one that slides up and down in the tank and if this fails it will bleed off pressure however you say you are building to 107psi while running which is perfect...Now for the candoo they dont get sold used ive noticed and if they do they a gone within a day....Save yourself the trouble spend the 400

As for the seal...your correct its the one that slides up and down in the tank and if this fails it will bleed off pressure however you say you are building to 107psi while running which is perfect...Now for the candoo they dont get sold used ive noticed and if they do they a gone within a day....Save yourself the trouble spend the 400
Hey Tyman,

I am going to test the pump outside to see if there are any leaks. I never thought of it until you suggested it. I am also going to test the fuel rail when I get the o-rings. I ordered a new full set for injectors and air injectors. I also was told to service and test the injectors. As soon as I do all this, I will post my results. I did not know the RX was so finicky. I bought a pair for $2,000.00 but they were not used for 10 years. They let the fuel degrade and all the fuel system was a mess. I cleaned all up and I put a new aftermarket pump one, and a used OEM on the other. The one with the aftermarket pump is all up to spec. Highfuel has a new pump (HFP-500), that is supposed to be identical to the OEM (we will see). Priming pressure is 27 on the spot. It starts right away, and pressure holds steady. The one I have issues with was working fine until the pump started giving issues. It was a used OEM pump. I was suggested by one of the guys here to try to clean it, but I did not know that could be done. I got another aftermarket and that is when I opened this thread. We will see where all the testing leads. Thanks

Hey WaarEagle, thank you for the help. It turned out it was not the sliding seal, but the ones on the plastic housing. The two O rings that seal the metal part of the hoses with the plastic housing. The loss of pressure was there. Once I fixed that, the pressure held at 28 psi. Thanks!!

Hey Tyman2020,

Thank you as well for your help. It turned out it was not the sliding seal, but the ones on the plastic housing. The two O rings that seal the metal part of the hoses with the plastic housing. The loss of pressure was there. Once I fixed that, the pressure held at 28 psi. Thanks!!

Good to know im actually experiencing a bleed off myself ended up being a faulty check valve but if the new pump doesn't fix my issue ill be looking into that.

Hey Tyman,

I am going to test the pump outside to see if there are any leaks. I never thought of it until you suggested it. I am also going to test the fuel rail when I get the o-rings. I ordered a new full set for injectors and air injectors. I also was told to service and test the injectors. As soon as I do all this, I will post my results. I did not know the RX was so finicky. I bought a pair for $2,000.00 but they were not used for 10 years. They let the fuel degrade and all the fuel system was a mess. I cleaned all up and I put a new aftermarket pump one, and a used OEM on the other. The one with the aftermarket pump is all up to spec. Highfuel has a new pump (HFP-500), that is supposed to be identical to the OEM (we will see). Priming pressure is 27 on the spot. It starts right away, and pressure holds steady. The one I have issues with was working fine until the pump started giving issues. It was a used OEM pump. I was suggested by one of the guys here to try to clean it, but I did not know that could be done. I got another aftermarket and that is when I opened this thread. We will see where all the testing leads. Thanks
I am interested to see how the aftermarket pump works out for you. The reason is I have a 951 Di that has 215 hours on it and appears to be on OEM pump number FOUR!

If it is on fuel pump number four something is causing it to fail. Gotta remember too like cars and trucks the fuel in the tank cools the pump. If people run these things low continually on fuel the pump is gonna get hot. I don't know if that is a critical issue on these skis but it is in some automotive applications. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back