2003 GTX 4Tec Supercharged gauges not working

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PabloCruz

My gauges are not working long beep then short beeps, so I have read a few forums and have spent hours going through the electrical with no results. The machine operates excellent, performance is there, used in fresh water, never sunk, new battery with proper voltage. I have checked the connector up front behind the panel in storage area which feeds the gauges, the power wire shows 2.5V to ground (low), the power I have learned is the purple wire going to gauges at this plug however the feed from the harness or other half of plug is white with red, I have chased this back to the MPEM plug 1 and wire is good back to plug up front. Pins in plug 1 had some minor corrosion so I carefully cleaned all pins, and tried to clean sockets in plug (tough to do) still nothing, all pins are straight no misalignment. I have checked with DESS plugged in for power at 2 amp fuse it is there and drops out when key is unplugged. I have also checked the 1 amp fuse at plug 2 with and without DESS and same. So I have come to some conclusions
1) Socket for the white with red wire in plug 1 is bad not making good contact with pin, the socket does have continuity to front I used a pin in the socket and checked to front plug.
2) I am just guessing here but could DESS key, even though works as does the learning DESS, cause the gauge 12Volt feed to not come on, could just replacing DESS fix the issue.
3)MPEM 12V feed to gauges is bad (replace MPEM)

So if I have voltage at fuse when DESS is plugged in does it just go to through fuse then to pin at plug 1 or through electronics in MPEM then to pin.

I am pretty certain gauges are good and not getting the 12V so my big question is, what do you guys think is next step, DESS, MPEM. Can I unplug plug 1 on MPEM and using DESS key see if I have 12 volts at pin feeding white with red to gauges or with plug 1 removed does everything go dead. My brain is fried and I knew a new MPEM would fix it I have no problems buying one rather be DESS though LOL. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The white/red is not a power wire. It is a CAN HI signal so no point in trying to measure voltage. The gauge has the red/black 12V pos, a black ground, a white/red CAN HI, and a white/black CAN LO signal.

The DESS post is just 2 magnetic switches so it appears to working fine from your description.

I don't think I've ever seen the 12V power to the gauges fail due to the mpem. Have seen lots of bad 12v connections and grounds to them.

Check pin 1-23 at the MPEM which is your 12V pos that powers the gauges. You can run a separate 12V pos to test which will make the gauges do their initial power cycle.

Ok will try your suggestion. When you say check pin 1-23 can this be done without plug 1 installed and key on but plug 2 installed Also if I run separate power wire to gauge red/black And ground as well and gauge wakes up then for sure probably bad connections if 1/23 has power right then simply chase back.

Sorry also forgot to ask when you use the learner key and post is just a magnetic switch how does seadoo know to detune MPEM Is there three wires and two magnet configurations for two separate inputs to MPEM

The DESS system is pretty simple. Each key has it's own unique DS2401 chip code and when it is plugged into the post it is read by the ECU. If the ECU has been previously programmed to accept that exact code, it will start the ski. The regular or learner is also just a setting for each key that is programmed into the ECU. Any key can be set as a regular or learner.

Checking unplugged AMP connectors won't be helpful since many of your circuits will open. You can insert pins i

Got it, yes that is what I have been doing through the rubber in back of plug. I will get at her this weekend hopefully figure it out and thanks so much for the suggestions and explanations.

Ok guys found the problem on my Sea-Doo the power for gauges is dead at plug 1-23 checked with pin through wire and receptacle in plug pulled on wire at plug and it is broken off the receiver in plug corroded so that being said what is best way to repair as plug is royal bitch to work on, new harness. I cannot see being able to repair this unless I pull the harness out even then it looks tough. Harness doesn’t look too bad to remove plus could be others fail soon too.

Pulling the terminals and replacing them is not difficult. Should only take about 10 minutes. The manual covers it in depth on how to disassemble the amp connector and release each terminal.

Then I assume you can buy the terminals then would probably need the tool I would assume to release the old terminal. Can one buy a kit with several terminals and is there a certain size release tool. I’ve done plugs like this in the past but easily accessible and had the tool to release. Is the manual available in this forum. Good thing is I now know the problem. My frighten hands are cut to shit that MPEM bracket has razor edges lol.

Ok did some searching found the details now just have to source the terminals. They specify a certain crimped I have a special tool we use on small wire ends it crimps 4 sides together would this work or should I get the specific crimped.

Pulling the terminals and replacing them is not difficult. Should only take about 10 minutes. The manual covers it in depth on how to disassemble the amp connector and release each terminal.
Ski-d00
A quick update, fixed, thanks so much for the advice. The hardest part of this fix was finding the female pins for the MPEM plugs. First parts I get are wrong found out the part number is 278000995. Found dealer that still had them as they are discontinued. One Word of advice there are serious sharp edges around the MPEM bleeding is a given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back