2003 GTX 4 TEC will not crank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Ron S

Hi everyone,
My 2003 GTX 4 TEC 185 will not crank using the start/stop switch but will start and run with a toggle switch installed between engine ground and the ground side of the starter solenoid. I have done extensive diagnostics including DESS, start/stop switch resistance and continuity tests. I have swapped MPEM and ECU along with lanyard from my other identical machine. All the parts mentioned work fine on other machine, and the sick machine still won't crank will all of the other machine parts. The starter, solenoid are fine. I have battery power at the solenoid. The ECU is not grounding the solenoid when the start/stop switch is activated, but the ECU does receive the signal power from the start/stop switch when activated. I added a toggle switch running from ground to the ground signal wire at the ECU going to the solenoid. The engine starts when using the toggle switch and all appears to be normal except you can't turn engine off with start/stop switch, must pull the lanyard.
When the lanyard is connected, I get the two short beep indicating it recognizes DESS, but it is followed by one long beep and red light in lower of tach is lit. No codes show up in instrument cluster when set switch is pressed 5 times. All I get is "end".
All of this started after the steering cable retaining nut broke and allowed engine compartment to fill with water while docked. The intake was taken off and emptied, the supercharger removed and emptied, oil and filter changed, the MPEM removed and dried, all connectors dried. After reassembly, it would not crank, so I quickly rigged up the toggle switch mentioned to get it running ASAP to dry it. I ran it like this and changed the oil three times before it would run properly. I used it a few times like this until end of last fall. Now, I would like to figure this cranking issue.
Anyone has had a similar issue? Much appreciated. Thanks, Ron S.

Thanks for your input.
I have substituted the engine grounds, and I have load tested the 4 ground wires at the Ecu. I believe circuit it was pins Bi, B2, B34, and B41.

Ultimately, if the ECU does not ground the solenoid, (which is the engagement mechanism) and you can ground out the solenoid and it starts....The ECU is most likely bad.

Ultimately, if the ECU does not ground the solenoid, (which is the engagement mechanism) and you can ground out the solenoid and it starts....The ECU is most likely bad.
I have ruled that out, as I mentioned, I have 2 identical machines and I have swapped both the ecu and the mpem with dess. The Sea Doo with the cranking issue still won't crank with the ecu, the mpem and dess from the good working one, and the good one starts fine with the parts from the ill one. I am convinced it is a wiring issue, but I haven't been able to locate it yet.

I have read on Green Hulk that the start/stop switch can test properly and still cause a no crank. It also is not signaling the ECU to shut down the ski properly with your jumper installed. Might try swapping with your known good.

I have read on Green Hulk that the start/stop switch can test properly and still cause a no crank. It also is not signaling the ECU to shut down the ski properly with your jumper installed. Might try swapping with your known good.
Thank you for your input.
I have tried a new start/stop switch with no luck.

This is just a guess but check the integrity of the connector on both ends of the ground wire going to the solenoid and the mating connector on the the device it feeds from.

It takes a few amps to pull in the solenoid so you need a good connection in and out of the wire on both ends (the pin, socket and crimping of the wire to the pin or socket). If there is resistance due to corrosion, it may have continuity but not not provide enough current to pull in the solenoid.

If you can confirm by using a volt meter, the pin on the device feeding the ground wire goes to ground when you hit the start switch. As noted above it could be the device itself, or another sensor is not telling the device to ground the wire going to the solenoid or possibly the ground between the device and the battery is poor.

Check and clean all grounds.

Last edited:
Hey Ron, did you ever get this issue resolved? I am currently having the same issue with mine. It was full of water last time out as well. Happy riding. Brian

Back