2003 GTI Steering Assist

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Here I am working on the steering cable on the GTI, jet pump removed. I connect everything and the steering gets tight. I looked around a bit and figured I'd need to disassemble and free up the steering assist. Low and behold I"m looking at the parts list and..... " power steering ?? Kidding but does the water assist actually help or do I need to disassemble the assist pins and clean them up a bit?? Not much time to play tomorrow but Maybe I'll get this ski where I can it the button. :) That's gonna be scary. LOL

No, it really doesn't do much but I left mine alone and it works fine.

It was just supposed to make the ski turn more with no throttle. In the early 2000's there was a lot of debate about accidents from people crashing skis because as we all know a jetski will not turn without throttle and a lot of stupid people were panicking in collision scenarios and letting off the throttle nad not turning instead of flooring it to turn out of danger. The manufactures's tried to find a way to make a ski turn without throttle and this was seadoo's first attempt at it.

Problem is with the GTI the system is creating steering resistance so I my best guess is to take it apart and determine what is going on. I am think all I will be able to do is "clean it up" and reassemble.

OK.... After further inspection and trying to get it freed up a bit I decided to let it squeak. I think the sound of the squeaking influenced me into believing the handlebars were more difficult to move. LOL

Once lubricated by lake water the bushings don't squeak. All of them do it and any lube will either wash out or collect dirt.

You better update your signature watercraft list, your collecting skis faster than you can type, LOL.

You better update your signature watercraft list, your collecting skis faster than you can type, LOL.
The skis in my sig are party of the family. The rest are transients so I'm not listing them. :) That said... the SPI is gonna go and I'll keep the current XP or sell that one and get another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back