2003 GTI Oil Pump connection to Carb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rebuilt the single carb and after attaching the throttle cable to the oil pump cable I found that when pulled it would not return but left a lot of slack. I tried it in many different positions. I read that the line on the movable attachment to the oil pump has a line on it that needs to match a line on the body of it. This didn’t help.

Any advise?

When the oil pump cable is removed, it allows the oil pump lever /spring to relax way around clockwise "over center" the wrong way. So, when re-installing, it is necessary to move the lever [which by this time is probably "up" or 12-1 o'clock, move it counter-clockwise past 9 then to about the 6 -oclock position, then screw the line end into the throttle cable plate. With the line attached properly, there is a mark on the lever that will indeed match a similar mark on the oil pump housing. In the attached pic, they are not quite aligned.
Since it is kinda difficult to move the lever c-clockwise back over center with one hand, while not allowing the cable end to slip out of place, while pulling on the cable with the other [not much room in there] ... On my several GTIs with 717 single carb engines, I cut about a 3/4 - 1" length of garden 1/8" irrigation drip line tube, slit it the length, and insert it over the oil cable just below the top end, so that it cannot relax /retract enough to allow the lever to go over center when the top end is unscrewd from the throttle plate. It's then much easier to re-attach.
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• - Oil pump lever marks.jpg
    - Oil pump lever marks.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 15
Yes that part is a real pain because the as soon as you leave slack the oil cable flips to the bottom. Be sure you have that little black guide in place so the cable doesn't chaff and moves smoothly. You gotta hold tension on the cable when you're installing the carb. Good Luck.

When the oil pump cable is removed, it allows the oil pump lever /spring to relax way around clockwise "over center" the wrong way. So, when re-installing, it is necessary to move the lever [which by this time is probably "up" or 12-1 o'clock, move it counter-clockwise past 9 then to about the 6 -oclock position, then screw the line end into the throttle cable plate. With the line attached properly, there is a mark on the lever that will indeed match a similar mark on the oil pump housing. In the attached pic, they are not quite aligned.
Since it is kinda difficult to move the lever c-clockwise back over center with one hand, while not allowing the cable end to slip out of place, while pulling on the cable with the other [not much room in there] ... On my several GTIs with 717 single carb engines, I cut about a 3/4 - 1" length of garden 1/8" irrigation drip line tube, slit it the length, and insert it over the oil cable just below the top end, so that it cannot relax /retract enough to allow the lever to go over center when the top end is unscrewd from the throttle plate. It's then much easier to re-attach.
Hope this helps!
Thank you. So I think my problem really is that I am not feeling any spring tension. I have tried to wind it both directions but still get nothing. Is there anything I can do? Do I need to take the oil pump apart? Will I need a new one? Should I eliminate it and go to a premix anyway? Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes that part is a real pain because the as soon as you leave slack the oil cable flips to the bottom. Be sure you have that little black guide in place so the cable doesn't chaff and moves smoothly. You gotta hold tension on the cable when you're installing the carb. Good Luck.
Thank you. That makes sense. Please see my response to awdunn above.

If I'm not mistaken you should wind up the tension in the clockwise direction if you are looking at it dead on. Use your finger a rotate clockwise and see if it tensions up, if not you may have to remove it to see where the issue lies.

You're gonna have to take some time and get up close and personal with this. The spring can unwind past a tight fit section and you have to work it back into place. Get it past that point and make a turn to get the tension set. I've unwound more than a couple... all you have to do is go the wrong way. They are miserable little suckers. Take your time and get it spot on.

You're gonna have to take some time and get up close and personal with this. The spring can unwind past a tight fit section and you have to work it back into place. Get it past that point and make a turn to get the tension set. I've unwound more than a couple... all you have to do is go the wrong way. They are miserable little suckers. Take your time and get it spot on.
Thanks, you were exactly right. Finally got it done with a good mirror on a stick.

Guys, I got everything fixed and it ran great. Was only getting up to 44 mph after complete rebuild but suddenly went 58 just for a weekend. Now back to 44 and major delay on take off. Probably 30 seconds to get back to speed. I took the carb out and found some debris in the internal filter but it’s still running like a snail in peanut butter. Any ideas on the slowness or great speed for only 2 days? Thanks

I'd expect about 46mph out of a 2003 GTI. Did you replace the spark plugs. If you have not inspect the tip for gray metal. Also, I'd do a compression check. If that ski had more power all of a sudden it might have gone lean and the sluggishness could be a scoured cylinder. Give that a check. Hope it isn't anything much.

45 mph is max on a 03’ GTI with a 720. It will never get into the 50’s and definitely not 58.

It’s the biggest 2-stroke hull they ever made with the smallest engine.

Co
I'd expect about 46mph out of a 2003 GTI. Did you replace the spark plugs. If you have not inspect the tip for gray metal. Also, I'd do a compression check. If that ski had more power all of a sudden it might have gone lean and the sluggishness could be a scoured cylinder. Give that a check. Hope it isn't anything much.
Could be. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back