2003 4 tec supercharger question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rrm1387

I have reading the forum about the superchargers.
I took off the air intake hose and i can spin the fan freely . Is it suppose to move easily or not? Ibought the ski used so I don't know if it had been replaced .It does not make any noises and it seems to have good power.

Sorry to tell you, but you need to rebuild the supercharger. You should have decent power still since the engine is running naturally asperiated, but you'll also find that you can't reach as high of RPMs (and thus top speed) until you fix it.

You'll need these:
http://pwcmuscle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_9_16&products_id=11

http://pwcmuscle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12

Good news is once upgraded, you'll be running the '08+ spec so reliability will be improved.

Joe
thanks for the reply so the fan is not suppose to spin. I only have 20 hrs on my gtx why should this go?
Ok is this something I can do myself

Unfortunately the design of the washers from the factory lead to very short lives. It isn't uncommon for them to go after just 20 hours. Do a seach on here for something along the lines of "supercharger washer" and you'll see how many people fall victim to this same thing. As mentioned before, the new ones are a better spec so they will last you about 100hr before you'll want to rebuild the supercharger.

Keep up on maintenance and this should be the only thing you'll have issues with. Outside of the superchargers, they actully are pretty reliable.

Unfortunately the design of the washers from the factory lead to very short lives. It isn't uncommon for them to go after just 20 hours. Do a seach on here for something along the lines of "supercharger washer" and you'll see how many people fall victim to this same thing. As mentioned before, the new ones are a better spec so they will last you about 100hr before you'll want to rebuild the supercharger.

Keep up on maintenance and this should be the only thing you'll have issues with. Outside of the superchargers, they actully are pretty reliable.

Ok I will show my ignorance about this.
My supercharger is red does that mean anything?
I bought the ski used ,like a car, is there a place to check what has been done to a machine by it's vin#

The red supercharger just indicates it's a early model ski. The newer ones are black.
You can call your HIN into any dealer and they can give you info on any repairs it had while under warranty and if it has any recalls. There is no CARFAX type of system for skis'.

DAWG

It is also important to know that your sc does NOT have ceramic washers. It has the original metal ones that only lasted about 50 hours but they do not self destruct and go throughout your motor. Pull the supercharger, rebuild it or have it rebuilt, PPG and others are very good, put it back in and your good to go.

I have a 2003 gtx limited supercharged with 220 hrs . The supercharger has never been rebuilt I think anyway . I just purchased from a private party he purchased used himself from a sea doo dealer . He's not sure if the supercharger was rebuilt from the dealer , and the dealer is now gone. Seems to run great with lots of get up and go. After reading hours of these stories on having the superchargers rebuilt after a 100 hrs is now starting to worry me. It sounds to me the 03 models did not have the ceramic washer nor did it even have washers. Buth have read the bearing should be replaced along with some other parts . My question is if I send out to be rebuilt will this be rebuilt to the oringinal 03 supercharger specs with no washers . Or will this be rebuilt to the 09 specs with the clutch washers. I am a little confused what should be done or if anything since its running great. I did pick up a used 03 gtx supercharger of E-Bay with only 42 hrs on it for pretty cheap money I was just wandering if I should just put this on or maybe send out to be rebuilt . Please chime in with any of your thoughts and experence. Capt Ron

Capt Ron ... I took mine out and looked at it. It has a steel washer and every measurement I could take with a micrometer indicated that it was well within the wear specs. I have about 150 hours on mine. From what I could see of the bearings, they looked like they were new. One person said that the plastic ball bearing cages deteriorate and break up causing the bearing to fail. I find it hard to believe that anyone would design a bearing that would only last 100 hours in operation. I understand how the washers could fail if they are abused by jumping wakes all the time. The SC bearings have very little load compared to the main bearings in the engine. They are just spinning faster than anything else. And the SC should not be running much hotter than anything else unless the clutch is constantly slipping. And it is only suppose to slip when there is a rapid change in engine speed. In other words, when the seadoo jumps waves. Anyway I decided to just put mine back in and keep going. Hope I don't regret it.

Ok I will show my ignorance about this.
My supercharger is red does that mean anything?
I bought the ski used ,like a car, is there a place to check what has been done to a machine by it's vin#

You can buy new from Louis Sports, Texas(which I did). The new ones are from the factory in Austria. I had the red one. Rebuilding did not work out for me, but it may for you. The new one is beefed up and runs $866. The SC is quick to remove and replace. Rebuilding with no guarantee runs around $425+shipping sent out. DIY kits with tools $375.

Good Luck.

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Capt Ron ... I took mine out and looked at it. It has a steel washer and every measurement I could take with a micrometer indicated that it was well within the wear specs. I have about 150 hours on mine. From what I could see of the bearings, they looked like they were new. One person said that the plastic ball bearing cages deteriorate and break up causing the bearing to fail. I find it hard to believe that anyone would design a bearing that would only last 100 hours in operation. I understand how the washers could fail if they are abused by jumping wakes all the time. The SC bearings have very little load compared to the main bearings in the engine. They are just spinning faster than anything else. And the SC should not be running much hotter than anything else unless the clutch is constantly slipping. And it is only suppose to slip when there is a rapid change in engine speed. In other words, when the seadoo jumps waves. Anyway I decided to just put mine back in and keep going. Hope I don't regret it.

Where are you getting your washer "wear" specs?

You find it difficult to believe someone would actually design a bearing cage capable of only a 100hrs...of normal use or otherwise? No sht. Do you believe there was once a Ford designer who placed a rear bumper mounting bolt in line with the Pinto's gas tank? How about a GMC designer who once designed the "unsafe at any speed" rear suspension for the Corvair? How about a Boeing designer who's spec'd lithium batteries incapable of dissipating excess heat placed in cargo holds of the new 777?

Just because sht works on paper don't mean it works in the real world.

Ceramic washers...a design change in '04-05...(I'm sure to save a coupla bucks) have been recorded exploding in skis with less than 10hrs. That's not even past break-in period...you figure those ski's were beat to sht from wave jumping in that short a time? Wonder why BRP opted to phase out the ceramics in '08?

If you are one of those riders who wouldn't think of jumping a wave...let alone the 6" wake from the neighbors pontoon...it's past time to sell your ski and time to buy a canoe.

As for the bearing cages....Believe what you want.

253.jpg

You wanna push your luck? No skin off my nose.

That pic is what was left of my sc's innerds back before I knew better. The washers were replaced prior.....but the bearings were said to have looked fine...my call was to save the diff between a washer swap and full rebuild. Wanna guess how much I ended up saving myself that summer?

edited

The washers had been replaced the year previous...figure 120+ hrs....the bearings let go in '09 @185hrs.

...and the folks who helped me with my broke-dck rxt...couldn't believe they held up that long. The verdict...I was lucky as hell. Lucky that my gamble to save a few bucks "till next year'...only cost me around a $800 for a used S3 wheel and new rebuild kit (assembled/shipping) vs new to me wheel +$1000-$2000 in internal engine damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy new from Louis Sports, Texas(which I did). The new ones are from the factory in Austria. I had the red one. Rebuilding did to work out for me, but it may for you. The new one is beefed up and runs $866. The SC is quick to remove and replace. Rebuilding with no guarantee runs around $425+shipping sent out. DIY kits with tools $375.

Good Luck.

Doc

The implication is the new from factory sc is guaranteed....to what?...not fail? So...lets say that it does...do they replace the sc?....how about a full tear down/inspection and replacement of any and all parts fck'd up because of said failure?

just curious

RedBlue- WTF? MTFO! You speak like a 13 year old... This is a friendly board of people helping others and sharing knowledge.. IF you don't agree with someone engage in a debate about said subject.. don't belittle and berate... WTFC if someone doesn't want to jump a wave or wake... I mean seriously. Your suggesting they sell their ski and purchase a canoe huh? Let us all know how your school lunch goes tomorrow...

Let's do some math here:
I've got the '03 GTX SC I bought last season with 120 hrs on it. The first thing I asked the seller was about the SC and he said it had not been rebuilt. Within the week I pulled the SC, sent it out for rebuild, and remounted it. I was not about to risk an SC failure = dead engine. Right now NADA list this ski at around $3000 retail, new standard engine from SBT $2300 + shipping. From a #s standpoint its not worth the risk to run on a SC with over 100 hrs on it. I will be sending mine for rebuild every 100 hrs.

Let's do some math here:
I've got the '03 GTX SC I bought last season with 120 hrs on it. The first thing I asked the seller was about the SC and he said it had not been rebuilt. Within the week I pulled the SC, sent it out for rebuild, and remounted it. I was not about to risk an SC failure = dead engine. Right now NADA list this ski at around $3000 retail, new standard engine from SBT $2300 + shipping. From a #s standpoint its not worth the risk to run on a SC with over 100 hrs on it. I will be sending mine for rebuild every 100 hrs.

speedster98,

For some, math wasn't a priority in school......one of those things some just weren't gonna use.

RedBlue- WTF? MTFO! You speak like a 13 year old... This is a friendly board of people helping others and sharing knowledge.. IF you don't agree with someone engage in a debate about said subject.. don't belittle and berate... WTFC if someone doesn't want to jump a wave or wake... I mean seriously. Your suggesting they sell their ski and purchase a canoe huh? Let us all know how your school lunch goes tomorrow...

Oh c'mon...another one?...reading comprehension a prob of yours too? Read the post I addressed...read what I said(not read into it)...I posted the why and why-nots. My addressing the miss-impression of aggressive operation being the sole cause of bearing failure as opposed to design flaw was in no way more offensive than callin a man out for ridin like a grand pa.

Ok , After all that basically on a 03 supercharger you should change out the bearing since thers no washers to change . Is there anything else on the 03 supercharger that should be rebuilt. Is bearing falure a pretty rear occurrence or does this happen a lot. Thanks for all the imput

All of these sea-doo SCs have washers. The washers are the "clutch" in the system for sudden engine speed changes. Other systems use dump gates to release the extra boost provided during sudden changes. Ceramic/metal, either one, the general consensous is to rebuild completely every 100 hrs. There is a great shop I used, pm me for the info. It was easier to let them do it than worry about doing it wrong on something spinning so fast that can cause so much damage.

Bearing failure...prolly not as rare as most would figure. A tech sees a wheel that's touched down...he don't care, just tosses the whole thing in the trash and replaces it. Most wouldn't even bother inspecting for resulting damage to the flywheel or crap in the oil screens.

'03's have a "lock washer"?...somethin...not as familiar w/ the older sc's. You still have 2 sets of ball bearings...and a set of needle bearings...and 5 spring washers. Unless I was absolutely confident in my ability with re-assembly and my newton inch foot pound torque wrench...I'd send it off to a pro.....but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back