2002 utopia 185 seized?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Repdog

Two weeks into ownership of 2002 utopia 185 with (200hp) it died on the lake yesterday. Alarm beeped once, started sputtering, then died. The starter engages but the flywheel doesn’t turn. How screwed am I? Can anyone recommend a repair shop or mechanic in New Hampshire?

Most shops won't work on these... and I'm guessing since it's still summer... they will all be too busy to even look at it.

Are you not capable of checking it over?

Good... that's the place to start. Post a pic of what the plugs look like. Also... once they are out... try to turn the flywheel by hand. (back and forth)

Plugs are hammered, and it looks like the throttle broke off and somehow ground up. There are metal shavings & chunks all over the oil reservoir. Flywheel will not turn.

The real kick is its my son’s boat that he bought to use for 4 weeks before he leaves for USCG boot camp. He’s not in his happy place

I can see a broken off connecting rod sticking out the side of the block. That's what took out the throttle. That engine is toast. Sorry.

Figured. What are my options for a replacement? Is there something I can buy & bolt in, or should I just part it out

Yep... #4 or #5 blew a rod. Looks like my engine. (Metal and oil everywhere)

Yes... you can buy a rebuilt power head from Mercury. Last time I checked... they were $5k or so. There are a few places who offer rebuilt power heads under $4k... but you have to give them a usable core... and that engine won't be to them. (They dont want to weld it up)

Sorry about that.P6131739.JPGP7211866.JPGP7301882.JPGP8041896.JPG

Attachments

• P5151670.JPG
    P5151670.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
  • P5151673.JPG
    P5151673.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Any idea what caused this?
Has anyone bought a rebuilt engine from Blackbird motors on eBay? If I do get a new engine, what are your thoughts on running premix vs. oil injection?
Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
on mine... the one rod bolt was missing. (Couldn't find it) So... I think the one backed out, and then the rod let go. BUT... I had pits in a couple other crank journals... so I'm guessing one of the other rods would have let go after the bearing gave up.

Unfortunately... until you open it up... and look at the damage... you can't diagnose the actual cause.

I put the oil injection back on my engine. I trust it. The new gear is better than the old one.

Hi Repdog, sorry to hear about your ordeal. Please let me know if you do decide to part out. I just got a 205 a couple of weeks ago and may need some pieces, including stator, intake grate and maybe the whole jet pump assembly. I'm in SW NH. Thanks, Alex

Alex, I’ll sell you the whole boat, trailer and accessories for $3,000. My son leaves for boot camp in less than a week, so doesn’t have time to fix it.

Does anyone know if a Mercruiser 5.7 260 will bolt into a Utopia 185 in place of a 210?

Going from a V6 vertical shaft 2-stroke aluminum block to a cast iron V8 horizontal shaft engine--- Going to say no. Several hundred more pounds that would have to bolt to the stringers. Will also need a new design pump shaft to drive from front instead of the top. On and on and on......

Yep... what he said. NO as a "Bolt in" project. With that said... anything can be done... but you better be good with working with fiberglass.

The only things that will bolt in are other "Sportjet" engines. (240 gen1/2, 210 carb, 200 Opti) You can bolt in the 250 Opti, but you need the entire drive also. (it had a different gear box)

With that said... all the 2.5L outboard parts can be used to rebuild what you have. The only thing that isn't the same is the splines in the sportjet crank. SO... that has the be reused. Performance Marine can weld, and regrind your old crank.

Alex, I’ll sell you the whole boat, trailer and accessories for $3,000. My son leaves for boot camp in less than a week, so doesn’t have time to fix it.
Thanks Repdog, but not really looking for a project, just some parts to fix mine up. GLWS though. Best, ALex

Yep... what he said. NO as a "Bolt in" project. With that said... anything can be done... but you better be good with working with fiberglass.

The only things that will bolt in are other "Sportjet" engines. (240 gen1/2, 210 carb, 200 Opti) You can bolt in the 250 Opti, but you need the entire drive also. (it had a different gear box)

With that said... all the 2.5L outboard parts can be used to rebuild what you have. The only thing that isn't the same is the splines in the sportjet crank. SO... that has the be reused. Performance Marine can weld, and regrind your old crank.

Did you ever learn WHY the sportjet crank spline is different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back