2002 Utopia 185 No Gas?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mk1409

I have a 2002 Utopia 185 with the 200HP DFI Mercury M2. The engine will start and run fine for 10-15 minutes, then it shuts off as if it is out of gas. I have recently replaced all fuel, fuel lines and spark plugs trying to fix the issue, though it still persists. Once the engine stops I can hear a hissing and it will not start again for another 10 minutes, after which it runs fine again for another 10-15 minutes. Running the boat at WOT it runs fine, but will shut off sooner (5 mins), which again makes me think it is not getting enough fuel. Is there some sort of valve in the fuel tank that could be clogged? Any other suggestions, the fuel pump seems to be ok, just acts like the tank is empty.

Thank for any help.

Are you getting any warnings? Do both of your beepers work??

Sounds more like an over temp issue.

BUT...........................

If you hear hissing... then the tank vent could be pluged up. Try this... go drive the boat with the fuel cap off. BUT, be careful not to get water into the tank. (or splash fuel out)

OR... when it shuts down... open the cap, and see if you get a rush of air, into the tank.

There are no beeps or warnings of any sort that occur when it shuts off. I will try running it with the cap off. Is the vent the second smaller hose next to the fill hose?

Yep, confirm it's not overheating. If you burn your hand touching about anywhere on the engine it's overheating (rule of thumb) b/c water boils at 212F Make sure the pisser tell-tale is flowing while running in the water, some water flow though this tell-tale allows trapped air escape out of the engine cooling jacket so it's very important.

Item #17 in this drawing is the fuel vent surge valve, it might be clogged not allowing air into the tank (air must be able to enter the tank somehow) as the engine consumes fuel.

I've found more than normal fuel tank pickup tubes clogged with trash this year, and always make sure the pickup tube isn't cracked near the top while taking it out of the tank for cleaning, the plastic pickup tubes sometimes are cracked.

Most (sportjet maybe, too) fuel pickup tubes have an anti-siphon check valve built into the fuel line nipple on the fuel tank pickup tube, those can become clogged with trash.

Small exhaust leaks will fill the bilge with toxic and non-combustible carbon monoxide over a short period of time, displacing the air/oxygen needed for combustion. The bilge blower might help to isolate a problem with exhaust leaks by purging with fresh air.

Always make sure your beepers and buzzers warning devices are working, they can warn you and avoid major engine damage so learn how to test and confirm their function at least annually.

Good luck! :)

Attachments

• SD02UT18520503.jpg
    SD02UT18520503.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
mk - did you try this? I'm having the same problem, although I haven't noticed any hissing. Runs great for 15 mins, then slows, sputters and shuts down. Wait a while, start it up again, and it runs fine.

Yes, i tried running it with the fuel cap open and still had the same issue, so I don't think that was the problem. The engine doesn't feel overly hot anywhere when touched so it seems unlikely that it is overheating. Where does the water come out of for the cooling system?

I also tried mine with the cap off, and it made no difference. But before going out, I unscrewed the water-sensing unit from the fuel-water separator filter and drained out what I could. When I started the engine up, I still had the same problem, but also started getting the four-beeps-per-two-minutes warning, which according to the manual means either low oil or water in fuel. I checked the oil in both tanks and the level was full, so I'm assuming that isn't the issue. I've ordered a new fuel-water separator filter and will put that in later this week and try again. Also will try to siphon out the fuel tank and get as much water out as possible - if that's the problem. By process of elimination, I'm hoping water in the fuel is the problem. Winter is fast approaching and would like to get a few rides out of it.

Might be a good idea to attach a fuel pressure gauge on the appropriate service connector to monitor fuel pressure.

But if you're getting buzzer warnings investigate accordingly, fluid sensors do go bad occasionally and many can be bypassed for testing purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back