2002 Utopia 185 new owner/new to forum - Basic things to check for the spring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I just picked up a 2002 Utopia 185, it will be sitting in storage until April 1st when I pick it up and I am looking for some general things to check prior to my first wet test voyage. I am sure I will be redirected to another post where this has been discussed but I wanted to a little get my first post out of the way. Thanks for having me.

What I know about the boat currently-
M2 210 HP Merc 2 stroke
has a newer bilge pump
Some rear seals were done last year? owner wasn't a mechanic guy, couldn't explain it, so I have ZERO clue what he meant but figure I will mention it
all electronics/buttons/lights are working
I'm told it was out 6 times last year with no issues, prior to that owner was the original owner for over 5 years, so I think I am the third owner

What to know about me-
I have been around boats a bunch but this is actually my first boat that I own
I got it to have fun in the lakes in Ontario, Canada
I am fairly mechanically inclined and know a bit about 2 stroke dirt bikes and Sleds (having owned them), more about general car and truck engines, but I'd like to think with any amount of research and knowledge I can fix most things that go vroom.

Cheers,

Hello and Congratulations,

I would guess that the reference to the rear seats was vinyl covers.

First thing I would recommend you do between now and April is get yourself the service manuals on the boat and the Mercury Sportjet and read thru them.

On the motor I would do a compression check on all 6 cylinders and see if they are where they need to be to the book and close to the same. If you have a questionable cylinder the compression will much less than the others. I would drain the gas, replace the oil for the oil injection with a recommended Mercury oil, change the fuel filter, and spark plugs.

Then using the books go thru everything. The previous owner may not have been doing things the way they should have. Check fuses, connections, and general appearance in the engine compartment, behind the dash, and underneath. Look inside the pump from underneath and examine the impeller for wear and damage.

There is a member of this site that has a written up fantastic step by step instructions to change the oil and service the jet pump. Do not remember who it was but I created a PDF and can send it to you if you would like.

If everything looks good then when it gets warm go for a local ride somewhere small with a couple of friends, stay close to the launch in case something goes wrong, and enjoy.

Mike

While there are threads here that cover this, here are some basics.

Gear and stator oil. Do you know when it was changed last? No? Change it. While the stator is off, inspect for debris in the stator vanes and in the impeller. Impellor -wear ring clearance: Should be (ideally) less than the thickness of a dime.

Rubber steering and shift bellows (at nozzle). Yearly replacement.

Control cables. Check each. There are 3. Listen for crunching/grinding sound. Or binding. Replace. These are generic cables. Not SeaDoo specific.

Hose to pee hole. Is it clear? Are you getting water thru the pee hole? If not, you may have a bug nest in the hose. If hot water can't get out, cool water can't get in. Could cost you a melted piston. Clean out the hose.

Spark plugs. Same as #1. Use only OEM spec.

Shifter. Confirm shift/start interlock is working. Is neutral really neutral? In water check.

Emergency kill switch. Confirm it is functional and usable. Not bypassed.

Idle speed RPM. should be 1100-1200 RPM. In water check.

Hello and Congratulations,

I would guess that the reference to the rear seats was vinyl covers.

First thing I would recommend you do between now and April is get yourself the service manuals on the boat and the Mercury Sportjet and read thru them.

On the motor I would do a compression check on all 6 cylinders and see if they are where they need to be to the book and close to the same. If you have a questionable cylinder the compression will much less than the others. I would drain the gas, replace the oil for the oil injection with a recommended Mercury oil, change the fuel filter, and spark plugs.

Then using the books go thru everything. The previous owner may not have been doing things the way they should have. Check fuses, connections, and general appearance in the engine compartment, behind the dash, and underneath. Look inside the pump from underneath and examine the impeller for wear and damage.

There is a member of this site that has a written up fantastic step by step instructions to change the oil and service the jet pump. Do not remember who it was but I created a PDF and can send it to you if you would like.

If everything looks good then when it gets warm go for a local ride somewhere small with a couple of friends, stay close to the launch in case something goes wrong, and enjoy.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Appreciate the input and will take you up on your PDF if you could ? Also I think everything you’ve written is fairly clear but I’m curious if there is an online resource or PDF of the service manuals that I don’t have to pay for ? I’ve seen several where I would have to pay but wondered if free ones exist. Yep, I’m super cheap lol and will search high and low for free or used before I buy new. I’m sure it’s only 20 bucks too but as I said I’m cheap. Thanks again for the direction!

Gear and stator oil. Do you know when it was changed last? No? Change it. While the stator is off, inspect for debris in the stator vanes and in the impeller. Impellor -wear ring clearance: Should be (ideally) less than the thickness of a dime.

Control cables. Check each. There are 3. Listen for crunching/grinding sound. Or binding. Replace. These are generic cables. Not SeaDoo specific.

Hose to pee hole. Is it clear? Are you getting water thru the pee hole? If not, you may have a bug nest in the hose. If hot water can't get out, cool water can't get in. Could cost you a melted piston. Clean out the hose.

Shifter. Confirm shift/start interlock is working. Is neutral really neutral? In water check.

Thanks Tim. Appreciate you taking the time here man! Hey quick questions in your post regarding the Rubber steering and shift bellows, where do you suggest I purchase these types of parts? In my experience some online retails are better than others and I’m curious what the masses here are using. Any websites that come recommended on both price and just general ease of use or reliable would be appreciated. I’ve had poor luck on some random parts from overseas retailers. Thanks!

Attached is the PDF that I had discussed. Someone on this forum is the author, not I, and I found it very helpful.

Regarding the manuals. When I searched initially, was not able to find anything I liked electronic for my Challenger. Have gotten manuals electronically before for other projects and personally found having them in paperback more beneficial.

Similar manuals to the ones I have are available on eBay,

Mercury Manual, 90-877837R01, eBay #333533398760
Seadoo Manual, 219 100 162, eBay #233369472251

There is a lot of good information in them. When I am working on my boat I like to have them available and have left myself notes for future reference.

Everyone on this forum has been a very good resource for me but I prefer to see if I can find the answers to my problems first and not take advantage of this forum as a last resort.

Mike

Attachments

• sjannualservicev1.1_190.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back