2002 GTX DI flipping/oil spill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyeent

I am new to this forum but I am a happy owner of a new-to-me 2002 GTX DI.

Background: I broke the "do not overfill" rule and I filled the oil tank to the top of the filler tube which caused oil to leak into the hull. OK. New owner mistake. I took it to the shop that got it into water-worthy condition and the tech explained that I had overfilled it. Fair enough. I will not do that again.
However, as time has passed, I learned about other things like how to right a flipped PWC.
My questions now are, if I do happen to flip, will this cause a major oil spill? Will gas leak? Or might I have a crack/leak in my oil tank that I need to get fixed?

The next pertains to starting it after righting it. The manual talks about pinching the intake line if being towed but not much about starting it. The manual talks about submerged, sunken, etc and then taking it to a shop to get serviced.

But if I flip it then right it (not counting possible oil issue from above) can I just try to start it or is there an after-flip starting procedure for a two stroke?
I am just trying to learn these things before I need them.
Thanks in advance for any help!!

But if I flip it then right it (not counting possible oil issue from above) can I just try to start it or is there an after-flip starting procedure for a two stroke?
I am just trying to learn these things before I need them.
Thanks in advance for any help!!

The good news is it's really difficult to flip a GTX, I've had mine for 3 seasons, and including letting my 19 yr old ride it and other people, it's never been flipped.

The most important thing you want to remember if you flip it, which way to flip it back upright. Because picking the wrong direction, either clockwise or counter clockwise makes all the difference if you flood the engine or not.

The good news is it's really difficult to flip a GTX, I've had mine for 3 seasons, and including letting my 19 yr old ride it and other people, it's never been flipped.

The most important thing you want to remember if you flip it, which way to flip it back upright. Because picking the wrong direction, either clockwise or counter clockwise makes all the difference if you flood the engine or not.
I agree that the GTX IS hard to flip. My concern is more about IF it should happen, will I have an oil or gas spill?
Again, IF it should happen, what is the startup procedure?

There should be a sticker on the back that provides the directions and process. If not it would be a good idea to print one and put it on. Also i believe the 2002 uses the same oil tank that is in my 2000, which was designed in two parts and then plastic welded or melted. They leak over time at the seam so best not to fill past the seam.

No you will not have oil or gas spills when flipping it.
5038bdddb272c5e1f84ae898ef60994e.jpg

It's a closed loop system,,,the fuel tank, through the fuel tank,,,the oil tank to the oil pump,,,have one way check valves,,,l think you are worrying too much...If you do sub it...try to start it up as a soon as possible,,,the manual will guide you.

just double check your seal on your oil cap. mine was hard and brittle, causing a leak. went to the hardware store and bought an o ring that was the same size and it is sealed just fine.

unless you let it sit upside-down in the water for a long time, you wont have to worry about anything.

There should be a sticker on the back that provides the directions and process. If not it would be a good idea to print one and put it on. Also i believe the 2002 uses the same oil tank that is in my 2000, which was designed in two parts and then plastic welded or melted. They leak over time at the seam so best not to fill past the seam.
Thanks for all the replies!
The sticker helps to show which way to flip it and I was aware of this. I also followed up on the leaking seam issue and this IS a common issue for that series, fixed with a relatively inexpensive replacement tank.
Thanks to everyone who helped me with this topic. Perhaps I was overly concerned since my friend who was showing me the ropes of riding a PWC, flipped his on our second trip out. (He was showing me his stunts!)

Attachments

• FLIP_DECAL.JPG
    FLIP_DECAL.JPG
    940.5 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back