2002 gtx 4tec doesnt have full power all the time

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandler4459

I have a pair of gtx 4tec machines. I have fixed the pump problem with the one machine but the other one is giving me fits. I checked all the fluids and topped them off. While in the water it gets to 5000 rpms roughly and just slowly scoots around like the motor is derated. And then all the sudden it will rev all the way up to 7500 and run like a top like normal and then out of the blue if you idle it down it is sluggish again. Went back and fourth 4 or 5 times in a 10 minute ride.

Replace the spark plugs is the first thing I would try. Then if that doesn't do it swap the coil packs from the one ski to the other. You could do that one at a time to see if you can find the one that is coil pack that may be bad. More then likely its the plugs.

Replace the spark plugs is the first thing I would try. Then if that doesn't do it swap the coil packs from the one ski to the other. You could do that one at a time to see if you can find the one that is coil pack that may be bad. More then likely its the plugs.
Awesome ill have to give that a try. Probably needs new plugs anyways. Thanks for the advice I'll let you know if this helps. Is it okay to run them wide open out of water with a garden hose hooked up?

I had a motor not even start with bad plugs. But if it comes on/off like that, it's likely not a plug. Once a plug goes bad, it stays bad. Sounds like a contact issue. You can pull the coils and pull off the lower rubber boot. Check the copper contact. I had corrossion on one and it acted in a similar manner. I scraped it off and it came right back. Could be that simple ;)

I wouldn't run it full throttle on the hose. The reason being is you will heat up the Carbon wear ring and cause it to fail. You should really only run it for around 2 mins on the hose so as to not over heat the carbon wear ring. In the water the water cools this and full throttle is not a issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back